Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
seems like the rear is singing. now, don`t ask what tune, either! anyone have a good additive??? going to change the fluid this week. thanx.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Unfortunately you have what we used to call an "Ernest Tubb Rear End", it sings to you and doesn't sound very good either. About the only thing you can do as far as a different lube is to get the thickest viscosity lube you can find and it won't hurt to put some STP in it either.

·
Premium Member
50,809 Posts
Had an uncle that bought a 51 Ford and after a while the rear started singing. When pulled apart they found somebody had stuffed it full of banana peels and traded it. As they ground up the noise got louder.

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
Had an uncle that bought a 51 Ford and after a while the rear started singing. When pulled apart they found somebody had stuffed it full of banana peels and traded it. As they ground up the noise got louder.
Yup, and I have heard of them using saw dust tootdi Later, Dave

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
seems like the rear is singing. now, don`t ask what tune, either! anyone have a good additive??? going to change the fluid this week. thanx.
Hey Dude, you gotta have the worst luck with a car, that I have ever seen. Wow ! Here's to things turning around for you SOON.

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
OK, so when are you hearing this noise ? Acceleration, cruising or slowing down ? Check to see that you have good tread on your tires, as "cupped" tires will make a noise. Take her down a nice smooth road, drive at thirty five, at try the above, so we can get an idea of what this noise is. It maybe other than a rear end. Keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Back in the late 60's STP made an additive that I used in my 3sp transmission and rear end.It was real thick and heavy weight. Dont know if they still make it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts