Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The previous owner of my 55 glued carpet in the trunk,all over the trunk,sort of a homemade dress-up kit. I have removed the carpet but the glue is a mess . Any attempt to peel or scrape the glue removes the paint. Any ideas on how to remove glue without requiring a paint job?????? The real tragedy is that the paint was not bad at all in the trunk and there was no need to cover it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
3M

3M makes an adhesive remover. Don't know if it works on carpet glue. Most paint stores carry it.

·
Registered
102 Posts

Try goo gone I got it at Canadain Tire and it works on almost every thing. Are you going to put new carpet down or you going to paint the trunk?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
have spent the past several days experimenting with different solvents to see which one will safely remove glue from my trunk. started with mineral spirits simply because I had it in my shop. It softened the glue but the glue was still stuck very hard to the paint, sort of like when you run over chewing gum and it dries on your fender well,this was not working well at all,but it did not damage the paint.
next I got an adhesive remover called Goof-Off, this was really strong stuff and the instructions warned not to rub with much force until you experimented with it. I put it on a few places and it took the glue off but since the glue is thicker in some spots I tried rubbing and it took the paint off and in places removed the primer down to bare metal.
next I tried Acetone and it had pretty much the same effect but not quite as strong as Goof-Off.
I also tried alcohol with no results at all. I took the car to a friends body shop and he advised me to put a dress-up kit in the trunk and forget it, but I do not like the idea of all that junk in the trunk. I also went to another shop that rebuilds cars and they said the only way to get that much glue out was to sand blast the trunk. That might be the way I go, sand blast and repaint,although I wanted to spend the money elsewhere on the car . more later

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,579 Posts
Goof Off is as you found out a very harsh chemical. The thing I hate most about is that it STINKS to high heaven.

Goo Gone as deb56 suggested works very well for most jobs, doesn't stink as bad, and is way milder while still being very effective.

The problem you have is a bad one. Doing it by hand and tackling a 6x6 area at a time seems like it would take 2 yrs to get it out. Sure would hate to see you having to resort to sandblasting, especially on such a nice car but you just might have to go that route.

Best of luck to you on that effort.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts