Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My steering wheel has about 3" of play, left to right. Very loose.

Is this something I can adjust out of it, or...?

Thanks for all the help, guys, I've been a question hound lately as I get into working on my 55 wagon again, pics to come soon!:)

·
Premium Member
19,668 Posts
My steering wheel has about 3" of play, left to right. Very loose.

Is this something I can adjust out of it, or...?

Thanks for all the help, guys, I've been a question hound lately as I get into working on my 55 wagon again, pics to come soon!:)
1955-1957 Chevy Rebuilt Manual Steering Box ... top adjusting screw on your box in an effort to tighten up the steering
Here ya go, try turning screw right or left to tighten up. cant exactly remember which way, been moons ago since I did mine.

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
On the top of your steering box you will see a threaded stud coming vertically out of the casting. This stud has a lock nut around it. Simply loosen the lock nut and thread the stud clockwise and this will bring the two drive gears closer together and reduce the play. You should still leave a small amount of play in the system or you will invite excessive wear between these gears.
Also check for worn steering components as they will also contribute to this same problem.
ken 57

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,845 Posts
7,080 Posts
Surfrider mine was about the same. Helped mine a lot. Depends on the amount of wear already on the gears. Then put CCC500 PS box on, so don't know how long it lasted. Lloyd

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea boy, you guys are the best!

I'll try it tomorrow morning.

Power steering will come, when I can shake the money tree...probably be a while, but it'll come.:)

·
Registered
37,981 Posts
Do the box last.

First check the idler arm. Then the tie rod ends and the pitman arm connection to the center link.

Then go by the procedure in the shop manual. The first thing you check and set on the box is the end play. It's usually not a problem but if it is, it needs to be done first.

The last thing is to set the adjuster on the top of the box.

One problem with these boxes is that they were filled with oil at the factory. There was a dealer service bulletin early on (in 56 or 57) warning of leaks and recommending that the oil be replaced with chassis grease.

There are lots of boxes out there that have been run dry or nearly dry for a lot of years. These won't be saved with adjustment.

Good news is there are good used boxes out there still.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I just dug around here at home, I knew I had one...but I think I gave it to the guy who rebuilt most of my wagon.

57B210, I just saw your links, thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts