Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advice on what brand/size,and any other helpful hints
I'd like to keep the cost at about 1000$ If possable? I'll be doing some soda blasting,grinding,painting,I'm able to run 220 to the garage so that not a problem,I'm a contractor so we have a HD card ?

·
Premium Member
19,668 Posts
Looking for some advice on what brand/size,and any other helpful hints
I'd like to keep the cost at about 1000$ If possable? I'll be doing some soda blasting,grinding,painting,I'm able to run 220 to the garage so that not a problem,I'm a contractor so we have a HD card ?
Ingersoll Rand 80 Gallon Electric Two Stage Air Compressor - 175 PSI, 14.7
heres a good example, in this line,

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
My best advice is to get a name brand one like the IR. They have service people in case there are problems. I bought an Easton brand which was a good value and works fine now but I had problems with the first one they sent me (pinhole) in the tank and they are only in Ohio, me in TX.

·
Premium Member
5,574 Posts
i got mine on craigslist it is a devilbess 5hp two stage 60 gal 230 volt. i have had no problems as far as performance . i use spray guns ,blast cabinet. sand blaster. da sanders........... and i only paid 150 for it. had to travel 1hr to get it but worth it.you have to look every day to find the deals.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
I was at Tractor Supply the other day looking at their IR compressors. It looks like they all had foreign motors except the 7.5 HP model at 2 grand.

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
From personal..

I was at Tractor Supply the other day looking at their IR compressors. It looks like they all had foreign motors except the 7.5 HP model at 2 grand.
experience.. A compressor at <$1000.00 IS NOT going to do the job...For very long, anyway.:eek:
My LOWES experience, [80 gallon/5 hp]...Since new, and in the first 1 yr: 2 motors and 1 compressor unit. Used it ONCE to blast the bottom of the 55. It was toast.

The IR at $2K, is a good choice. it has the relay start on it, a decent motor, 2 stage cast iron compressor. If I live long enuf to need another compressor, it'll be one like the IR.:party0031:

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Compressor

There is a very interesting thread on this in the chat room I think in tech area on the DACC web site. You should read what David Graves wrote. Dallas Area Classic Chevys

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Northern tools sells Quincy compressors and they come with an on-site
repair warranty plan. I got this one for Christmas and I'm really happy with it
so far.

·
12,256 Posts
Whatever you do, get a two-stage compressor. It will pump to a higher pressure, so that means it stores more air. They also typically have more CFM which is what really matters. I went with a 60 gallon tank just due to size. I have another 20 gallon tank plumbed in on the opposite site of my shop as a moisture trap and to expand capacity....but capacity doesn't really matter that much if the compressor can't keep up with your airflow needs. Here's the one I got...

http://www.tooltopia.com/ingersoll-rand-2340l5.aspx

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Northern tools sells Quincy compressors and they come with an on-site
repair warranty plan. I got this one for Christmas and I'm really happy with it
so far.

I have the same unit. Bought it new and have had it years with zero problems. I'd recommend the upright tank and the grey silencer at the intake as well. I mounted my starter box up on the wall but never touch it. I control mine at a central location with a dedicated breaker at my garage breaker panel as well as a separate dedicated breaker to welder.

Consider it a life-time tool and don't skimp with an overrated single stage. 5HP 2-stage is a good home shop size and I'd consider it minimum.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
I have another 20 gallon tank plumbed in on the opposite site of my shop as a moisture trap and to expand capacity....
I like that idea and have thought of it myself. However, I never could find a small tank that is rated to 175 psi. Most small tanks are only rated to 125 psi.
Where did you get your 20 gallon tank?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
As mentioned, Go with a 2 stage, I have a 2 stage 80 gallon tank, 7.5 hp and it will push 17 cfm at 100 psi, Max psi is 175, It kicks on at about 140 or so, which is nice.... even blasting it doesn't go below 140.... that way you never starve the blaster, it runs most of the time I'm blasting but always has good pressure.

I have a bigger dedicated line to the blast cabinet with all bigger fittings and water trap... I think everything is 1/2 inch... this also helps to have good flow to an airhog like the blaster.

I had a Craftsman 60 gallon, single stage, WAY too loud, and ran all the time, I sold it in the paper, won't do that again. I have had current set up close to 8 years, no issues, just keep inlet filter clean and change the oil.

Gil

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have to agree with the others, after using a one stage Craftsman for way too long, a two stage compressor is the better choice. Brian:bowtieb:

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
I have the I/R,7.5,2 stage.
It cost around $1,500.00,but----
It's rated at 100%duty cycle-means you can run it continously.
And 2 stage pumps run at about 1/2 the speed of single stage pumps-that by itself doubles it's life-span.
Parts are 30 miles away.So far I've bought a spare belt, filter and oil.
Going on 3 years,no problems yet.
It replaced a Craftsman which replaced a Craftsman,etc.
Mike.:bowtieb::)

·
Registered
37,053 Posts
I bought a Campbell Hausfeld 2 stage, 175 psi, 17 scfm, 80 gallon tank, cast iron cylinders compressor at Home Depot a few years back. Paid about $850 for it, it's probably $100 more now. Big increase in performance compared to the Devillbiss single stage, 125 psi, 13 scfm, 60 gallon tank, cast aluminum cylinders compressor that crapped out and forced my purchase. It runs less, runs cooler and quieter, and the air is drier than with the previous compressor.

I might have spent a bit more and gotten a little more capacity, but I wanted to move quickly and buy something that day and drive away with it. The Devillbiss served me well except for sandblasting and overall paint jobs. For those, especially the blasting, it lacked capacity and the output had a lot of water in it. Almost any compressor for a home shop is going to run continuously with air tools like grinders and sanders. But a compressor like I describe will have the advantage of less water in the air and that will increase your air tool life too. The little throwaway air die grinders and sanders I use seem to have their life doubled or tripled, I think it's due to drier air.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts