Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Advice on building a shop / garage

Tags
garage shop
18K views 91 replies 32 participants last post by  Granpa49!! 
#1 ·
Looking to build a 40x60x12 garage / shop, mainly to restore my 56 chevy 210 in, also to park my pickup and trailer and lawnmower in, as well as most the other "stuff" in my garage.
Of course lumber has to be stupid high right now. Was looking at a steel frame building, but discovered its another 5k in concrete to do footers, etc for that. So now leaning towards holding off till lumber comes down and going that route. Plan to do stud walls on the concrete. Everybody tells me I should be pipes in the floor for heating. Not sure if I'll use it enough to justify that or not. What is efficient way to heat a shop, esp one that won't be used on a daily basis? Considering do spray foam on the side walls and blow in insulation in the ceiling. Also considering putting an office in the one corner, so I can work from home if I want. Getting fiber internet installed on the 16th :) Thinking to lay it out that the garage doors will be on the front. So office will be in the front left corner, then a 10x10 garage door then a 10x14 garage door. What else should I consider?

#2 ·
I would not be concerned with air-conditioning or heating . I have a 2 post lift that is my favorite thing ever but you need
a 12 ft. ceiling. Also plumb air pressure all around with the compressor in an enclosed spot with insulation because it is loud. Electrical outlets need to all over the garage. I have many overhead lights of high wattage.

#3 · (Edited)
You’ll need footers either way. Typical with metal beam construction the footers are just under the beam locations. So not sure why they quoted you 5k more. Right now steel is pretty cheap and dropping daily. Also won’t rot or get eatten by termites.

Next best invesmentt you can make is spray foam On whole thing, ceiling too also HVAC System. Those are worth every dime.

#7 ·
I would spend the money up front to insulate a metal building. Even if you don't have heat and air, it will help with the temperatures in both hot and cold weather. It will reduce the needed capacity of a/c or heating. And it's next to impossible to do right after the initial build. Heat and a/c can be added later.

All those extra air lines and electrical outlets can wait if you have to. On the other hand, good lighting from the initial build is something you want to do.

#9 ·
I'd consider making a 40'x60' with a divider curtain to allow you to heat or cool a work area, and not the whole shop. A sliding curtain is a nice feature for this, and allows for opening it up when needed also. And it can contain an area when you're doing grinding, or dirty work you don't want all over the shop.
Have a buddy who bought a curtain to divide off a two stall space for this purpose, and he has a small wood stove to heat it, and window AC built into the wall to cool it. I've worked in there with him comfortably winter or summer.

#10 ·
I personally would go metal also. As far as the 12' walls, i would up that to 14 or 16' to allow for a loft for storage. I built my shop in 1986 and it has 12' walls and if i could do it again i would go taller for that reason alone.
Terry

#11 ·
I"m thinking to do a 36x50x12 or 14 now. I'll turn it the other direction and it will take less dirt work that way. I'm deciding against in floor heat since that would run around 6500 installed and I can get a heater and ac for around $3000. And I probably will use the ac more then heat.

#12 ·
Good choice on the heat and a/c. One of these years I'll get a mini split for my garage/shop to take the place of lp gas heat and a large a/c in a window. A heated slab can warm very slowly unless you leave it on when you aren't in there, but it is a big bonus if you are laying on the floor in the winter.

#13 ·
The lift thing is a big deciding factor. Most are 12 ft tall. If you have a peaked roof, try for 12ft plus at the sides. This way you can put the lift anywhere. Also, think about it and have a footing poured where the lift might go. I had a 24"X12" 40ft long poured across the shop where I anticipated the lift going. Later, I had the option of installing it anywhere across the width of the shop. I had a door in the side, and the end so I could get about anything in there, and move things around easily without having to move 2 things to get the third out. My current shop in South Dakota is also heated....a necessity. I have in floor heat which is great. If you do that, plan out where you are going to bolt down the compressor, lift and so on. Leave the heat tubing out of those areas so you won't drill into them. I like the in floor heat because it heats all objects with radiant heat, not just the air blowing around. If you don't live in cold country, probably stick with regular furnace heat. Spray foam works awesome here in the cold north, but is expensive.....like $11,000 for a 50X50 with 18 foot walls. It is a real energy saver though.

#14 ·
I think you have to ask yourself, how much do you really plan to work in the the garage in extreme temps? I had a 40’ x 60’x16’ with 24’ center clear span uninsulated. I heated it for years with just a 300k btu kerosene torpedo heater w/thermostat. It did a pretty good job. I can only imagine how well it would have done if the building was insulated. This was a very economical option for occasional use.

#40 ·
It's been tracked in with a dozer as it was hauled in. Thought about the straight through design but the back end is 8-10ft high so that won't work out.

Sent from my SM-T387W using Tapatalk
A track loader has a considerably lower ground pressure footprint, than a wheel loader. Compaction will, therefore be less. Getting the fill as close to a bank yard weight, as possible, would be ideal. I'd have the contractor go over it with a wheeled machine. Even the loaded dump will help.
As Darren mentioned, letting it settle, rain on it, will help.

#22 ·
It would be nice to have an unlimited budget with which to work but I had to decide if I wanted to spend my money on a shop or on my car. I built a 35' wide x 28' deep metal bldg abutted to the end of my house and on an existing slab. Total cost was just over five grand. Kudos to the guys who can afford the multiple lifts and Jay Leno style shops. I'm just not one of them.

#23 ·
I'm sure you're right. I was a bit worried about it too but the Man that did the dirt work says it will be fine and he's built a lot of pads. I'm new on this. But my neighbor did the same thing, maybe not quite as much fill, and poured concrete 2wk later. That's been less then a year ago so it may be to soon to tell. Tho I've seen cracked concrete on shops that were built on flat land too. I wish I could justify a fancy shop but I can't. I got all the fill from my next door neighbor or I probably wouldn't have built it. I can't add on to my house easily because it's an earth contact home. According to my research I should be able to get most of my money back whenever I decide to sell. The market is hot in this area, a property withbsome acreage and a shop that would be ok would be 350-550k. I would have liked a 40x60 but couldn't justify it. So this is the affordable route for me.

Sent from my SM-T387W using Tapatalk

#24 ·
Oh how that budget seems to always get in the way. My first shop was 40 x 60. My budget would not allow insulation or electric through out. I figured I would get to it as my finances allowed. Of course that never happened. When I built my new house a couple of years ago, I chose to go smaller 24 x 36 and go all out. Insulated, finished drywall, full electric, mini split heat and Race Deck flooring. It is much smaller, but much more comfortable. When there is a limited budget, it is all about trade offs.

#26 ·
Plan on LED lighting. You can get a deal on packages. I got eight fixtures for about $80 and they light my shop up like day. You can get packages with multiples like 16, 32, etc. The great thing about them is that you could power them all from one breaker. The amp draw is so low that the power cords are like 22 gauge wire. Your power bill will thank you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.