Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I've had to guys hounding me to sell my car to them and I'm trying to decide if I do or don't. One guy owned my car and lost it in a divorce almost 30 years ago and another guy just plain wants it and tells me everytime I see him at the local car show. I have been show cash already from the second guy and the p.o. says he's got a spot in his garage for it. I'm afraid if I did sell it I wouldn't be able to replace it, how many real 150 tudors are there? On the other hand I could pay off some small debt ie truck and a credit card and get my beloved '68 Camaro finished. And my father suggested I get a repop brand new body and make it a gasser which it would take me years to get done, probably $20,000+ for a body then I need a frame and paint and all kinds of trinkets that will add up considerably in the end. So I need some advice from you guys. I'm not rich and have an average job so keep that in mind please. I know if I sell it or don't its a win/win but once you own a TRIFIVE and sell it you want another one an hour later kinda like eating Chinese food. Ty guys
GREG

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
That's a tough question - I sold my 57 last year and have been looking for another car ever since. I don't regret selling it, but my life seems empty without it! LOL

Since you have another project, and the cost of this one would be quite high, I'd suggest selling it and paying off the debt. The freedom that will give you will outweigh the loss of the car.

Good luck.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,714 Posts
Greg.....I've seen your car and love it......No way would I sell it.....Its a part of you now and I seriously doubt you could find another to take its place.....To me you have a unique, irreplaceable labor of love there.

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
Why do you have to listen to your father and make it a gasser? Keep it like it is. You'll pay off your debts in time...its only money but like you say where can you find another trifive you love? I have had countless offers to buy my car at shows. One was a Redskins player who offered $80,000 and another a guy from the middle east that offered $85K. I told them the hundreds of hours I put into it could not be replaced and I'd have to go out and buy another one and start all over again because this is the car and look I want. Sometimes its not about money. If it is then invest your money in stocks, mutual funds, gold or whatever to make an investment and dont buy cars.
My car means much more than just flipping it for a profit.

·
Premium Member
5,802 Posts
If someone offered me 80-85 thousand dollars for my car, I couldn't find the title fast enough! When, and if you ever decide to sell, those guys are long gone. JMO

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
I noticed in your post you mention a camaro, if that is the car you really want then I would sell it and pay off your debt and fix your camaro. On the other hand if the Chevy is what you really want then keep that, or just keep everything and don't sell, you have been making it with keeping them all. Good luck in your decision

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
To sell or not... huge question most of us have been faced with.

Unless you are really getting 1. "stupid" money for it and 2. would rather finish the Camaro, then, I wouldn't sell. They only made trifives for 3 years, and I've NEVER heard anyone say to me "gee I'm glad I got rid of my old (55/56/57) Chevy.." Never.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think that is the # 1 comment I get from people is ( I had one like that, hate I sold it). I would keep it if at all possible,

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
I just posted came back from a ride on my motorcycle. I bought the bike brand new when I was seventeen...do you know how many people come up to me at bike shows and tell me they used to have a BSA (not my model because its rare) and sold it and never got another one?

To David: thats the point...I'll never sell Belle...too much a labor of Love...I am not a professional craftsman that creates and makes a one of a kind car then sells it. Like I've said in many posts...once you create something that is unique to you - to me I would not be happy no matter what money I make off of it. The $85K in the bank or invested I cannot ride in on a beautiful sunny day or polish for a show or beam when others give me a thumbs up. To me my car,bike,house,yard is an extension of me that I created. If someone knocked on my door and offered me 20% over what my house is worth I still wouldnt sell....its not worth it to spend years creating another house ....and Why would I sell it only to have to start creating another one again with more aggravation?

·
Registered
67,743 Posts
if you don't need the money, don't sell it. is you do, then sell it. family first. :anim_25:

·
Premium Member
50,811 Posts
I (and Troy) get offers at most every cruise. I just don't wanna let mine go....its a decision you'll have to make....:anim_25:

bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey guys thanks for the mixed bag of responses. It is a tricky decision for me to make but at least there is no deadline to meet. I am however weighing in on everything that you guys have told me in the posts. I do believe I wont end up selling it but on the other hand if they offer me something to tempting to ignore I just might let it go. I have paid it off a couple of years ago and I've sold about $2000 worth of the parts I got with it so I knocked that off the top of what I gave for the car initially. The p.o. asked me if I'd listen to an offer so I heard the number and was taken back and it wasn't an insulting number either. So I have something to contemplate on. Although it would be nice it wouldn't take long to utilize it, using it to pay off my truck and credit card. But it would pretty much eat up what I got for the car without any to spare and put into my 68 Camaro. So I am gonna wait and see how it goes. I could sell my truck and make money on that and sell my car and only then would that give me a good payday but with that I'd be without my truck and my 55 so I'm in a stalemate.
GREG

·
Premium Member
5,576 Posts
love the looks of your 55, but here is what I might do if the price is right let it go pay your debt off and work on your 68. later on when you get in better shape financially, and maybe work into a better job look around and pick you up another 55. we all get attached to our cars, but seriously a lot of enjoyment is in working on them. that's just my idea. but what ever you decide good luck

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Like davidc said. They disappear when it comes to the cash part. File their names and numbers in case it ever comes up missing.

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
9,056 Posts
Entirely up to you of course, but I guess I would give the guy that lost it in a divorce first dibs at it since he actually has a connection to the car other than money. But in the end, it depends on what makes you feel all warm and fuzzy. :D

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
In the end no one should make this decision but you, because you and no one else will have to live with the results. But i can say this i deal with the same issue almost every time i get my 55 out and so does most of my buddies with their 55's in the Chattanooga area. This tells me that they are in very high demand right now and i am talking about the real 55's not so much the re pop bodies. Like you i am not rich and i have learned dont price it unless you know where you can replace it with another at least as good as the one you have for less money. This way you dont put your self in a possition you cant get out of. Remember you have what they waunt so set your price in your favor, keeping in mind that a good real 55 is getting very hard to find at a resonable price or they would not be after yours. As for me knowing all this i usualy just say no thanks its not for sale. I also know that if i ever really want to sell it will be there better than money in the bank. Not to say that if someone were to offer me a substantial profit now that i wouldnt sell, i probably would if the offer was good enough to replace the car with one as good or better, but finding that car is not easy like it used to be. Remember they quit making the real ones back in 55.

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
A couple more comments, remember as time goes by these cars will get higher and higher in price also. Also i have a buddy that has been dealing in tri fives and parts for around 40 years now. For the past few years durring the down economy he has not had much trouble selling tri fives, but right now he is having trouble finding a good solid car to buy at a resonable price. This is a guy who has dealt in these cars most of his life and knows most every one that fools with them and they are getting harder and harder to find. Sure they are out there if you have deep pockets and willing to pay full price. The economy has not effected the selling prices of the good cars in general, because the people who own them dont have to sell.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Tough decision, no doubt. How about this. As I see it you have 3 options: 1. Sell the car for a great price, especially with 2 interested parties you could realistically set your own price. 2. Keep the car, enjoy it, don't look back. 3. Keep the car BUT, offer to build, or build a portion of a car for one or both of the other guys. Not sure how much time, space or resources you have but perhaps this way, you could keep your car and raise some capital to finish the Camaro, while making one or both potential buyers happy.

Practically speaking, one is always supposed to unload commodities when opportunity presents itself. With 2 potential buyers you could stand to make a few bucks.

Or not, depending on where they are with price. Has to be worth it for you.

Good luck in your decision.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
One of these days you will sell it or someone will sell it on your behave. Keep what you have for as long as you want and enjoy the ride. The money will not buy you the enjoyment you get from your ride. Are you going to sell everything you have just because some one whines that they want to buy it?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
GREEN56,thats what I was thinking too. Even finding any type of TRIFIVE nowadays is getting difficult, at least one in decent driving condition. I don't even know what I could reasonably get out of it. I bought it back in 2006 at what I was happy to pay for it and haven't looked back. I even got truck loads of parts that I've sold a bunch of to defer what it cost initially. Again if I did sell it and wanted another 150 tudor I know they are out there but to find a good one in the condition mines in will be expensive. I did tell the two gentlemen I am not commiting myself to sell and not to wait for me to make a decision.
GREG

1 - 20 of 21 Posts