Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
R.I.P. Sept. 8, 2018 Senior Member 2 Gol
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a couple of problems with fitting my replacement fenders on my truck:

1. Driver's side body line/crease not lining up with door
The fender fits properly at the top and the bottom and the door crease matches up correctly with crease in the cab. The picture makes the crease on the fender look wavy, but it's arrow straight.
016.jpg
015.jpg

2. Passenger side fender to hood gap is correct at the cowl and near headlight but in the middle it bows up and away from hood. Maybe I need to slice a pie cut out of the fender flange to bring it in? The other side has this same problem, not as bad.
017.jpg

Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
37,250 Posts
I'm afraid that's going to be a lot of work to fix correctly.

Maybe MP&C will chime in with some ideas.

If you lay a straight edge on the cowl and hood, are those straight? And the fender has a concave bow at the flange?

·
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'm afraid that's going to be a lot of work to fix correctly.

Maybe MP&C will chime in with some ideas.

If you lay a straight edge on the cowl and hood, are those straight? And the fender has a concave bow at the flange?
That's what I was afraid of. I'll double check the cowl and hood this weekend, but I did not see anything out of whack.
Yes, the fenders (both) bow out away from the hood at the flange and sit taller in the center. Got me scratching my head. (But that doesn't take much these days lol).

Thanks for the response Rick.

added: Full size pictures here 17,18,19 I think. http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157635236831850/

·
Registered
25 Posts
fender fits

Gotmotors...I'll be darned! I was beginning to think I was the only one with that fender reveal problem. A fella is doing body work on a 56 GMC pickup for me. Some years back he bought Dynacorn doors and front fenders for this thing. He has the doors fitting nicely but the rh one took a bit of cutting to get to fit right and the drivers door had the door latch screw inserts in the wrong place. when we went to fit the front fenders the curved part at the top seems a little low fitting against the door edge and both sides the reveal is about 3/8" too low on the fenders against the door match...just like yours! . going over and over on this asking different retailers as well as dynacorn themselves , the only thing they seem to tell me is the differences in the grille which we know about. I assume you may have these brand fenders? I did get one guy at dynacorn to tell me the rounded upper part of the fender on the 55-56's is a touch different and the side reveal is "more pronounced" they make 1 door and the 55-56 and 57 fenders (he had bought 57 fenders as at the time I think that is what they offered), besides that the fenders SHOULD be the same other than the grille area. Today I went out again and we fit the fenders as best we could. the gap against the hood is kind of wide and low towards the rear and the reveal is low as I said. At this time we are going to use them. I have an idea on the reveal that I think will work. I am going to talk to a pinstriper and probably have him do a stripe down the reveals (or maybe 2 thin ones) and placed at the right places on the reveals they can hide that mismatch..we were practicing with thin tape and pinstripe tape. At least I see the problem isn't just what we have, thanks BTW, what have you done about that?

·
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep. Mine are Dynacorn too. I remember reading a post here a while back that said that most, if not all, fenders are probably made at the same stamping facility from a few of the original dies that have migrated to Taiwan and the only difference in quality between the suppliers may be who gets the best of the batches. Sounded plausible.
So far, I've been able to "spread" the hood slightly about midway through it's length to bring it up and out toward the fender which has helped a bit. I haven't been able to spend much time on it lately, but I'll be getting back to it in a week or two and will let you know if I come up with anything. I did try to reposition the left fender to better match the crease - that was a no go. Guess I'll have to live with that part, maybe try to lessen it with filler (ugh).
Hoods are cheap and plentiful compared to fenders so I'm going to keep banging away on that to see if I can get it any closer. Post up some pics of what you have if you get a chance. BTW, welcome to bowtie-trifive and be sure to introduce yourself in the new members section. Lots of great people here.

·
Registered
25 Posts
fenders

Oh great, I was afraid you were going to say you had those fenders. Everytime I go out there all I have is my phone and it doesn't take the greatest pics. I will try to remember to get some of that fender reveal area, but I swear I am looking at my truck in your pic..it is exactly the same. I am kind of curious, the hood bumpers I bought are about 5/16" wide and we stuck a couple in there to see if it changed the hood to fender fit. it did a little bit but man that sure seems like a wide gap just to look at it. I was going to look for some thinner bumpers. I wish it was earlier in the season to see more of these trucks to see how things line up. When I e-mailed "joe parts" at dynacorn he told me I simply had the wrong fenders being 57 ones. I wrote back to ask for the exact differences in them and heard nothing. what is your cab and which fenders did you buy? I have read on other sites these are taiwan and also have read that people have bought goodmarks and they had dynacorn logos on them, so who knows? It is really nice to use nice clean metal without having to battle all the patching and stuff, but some of these concerns are not so great. I have this one pic but hard to see the reveal at an angle like this

Attachments

·
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My truck is a 55 Chevy and I bought the 55-56 fenders but I'm pretty sure there is no difference in the cabs from 55-59, GMC or Chevy, aside from the dash, etc.
When I put the bumpers in it did change the line up a little too but they're pretty soft and flatten out quite a bit and don't offer a lot of resistance. I don't think mine were 5/16, maybe 3/16. The two front bumpers were about 5/16. There should be ten total; 6 for the sides, two for the rear and two for the front.
This is probably a dumb question but have you tried fitting it all up with the inner fenders in place?
That's a good looking truck you got there cruizznn!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey thanks! The truck was originally from Arizona and brought to Ohio to set around a number of years and the floor rotted out so needed replaced as well as a cab corner, but other than that it is very nice shape. Painting it a PPG hot red I think? I asked him about the inner fenders and he said not to worry about those and looking at the mounting I am not sure that will change anything? I think it is the fenders that are the culprit. Interesting your bumpers and thinner, of course I had bought aftermarket ones of those also so who knows. I will get some thinner ones to see. here is what I was told, and none of it makes any sense other than the grille opening is the only differences we know of.

I have a 56 GMC that a fella is working on for me. He had bought your 57 chevy pickup front fenders quite a while ago and is finally getting around to trying the fit on the truck. It's a little disappointing as the top rounded part where it meets the front of the door is low on both sides but the cowl edge lines up, they both also have the side reveal too low ( lower than the doors and they also are your doors) and the bottom of the fender sticks down past the door in the front unless you really push up on it to try to line it up. 55-59 doors should all be the same. I know the headlamp and grille differences between the fenders, but why do you have a 57 fender and a 55-56 fender? either should fit other than the grille, but have heard other things like the fender top and reveal line down the side are different. so what do I do now?”

Well, Wayne, you have a couple of things going on here. Number 1, the fenders for a 57 are stand alone, 55-56 and 58-59. Unfortunately, you got the wrong fenders. Not only that but GMC and Chevy were different. And yes, we do have a 55-56 and a 57 fender. So, your guys simply bought the wrong fenders. The correct part number for your truck, if it were a Chevy would be 1097T and 1097U. You may get the grille opening to work for you, I don’t know, I have never tried. As for what we can do? Not a thing. As I said, you simply have the incorrect fenders

·
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Eureka!

Yahoo! Just stumbled on this by luck and this is exactly the problem I have. He even has the same problem on the body line by the door. Clearly, they have a little problem with their dies.
This is what I was thinking needed to be done and he seems to work it out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vwg_loea5w

·
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey thanks! The truck was originally from Arizona and brought to Ohio to set around a number of years and the floor rotted out so needed replaced as well as a cab corner, but other than that it is very nice shape. Painting it a PPG hot red I think? I asked him about the inner fenders and he said not to worry about those and looking at the mounting I am not sure that will change anything? I think it is the fenders that are the culprit. Interesting your bumpers and thinner, of course I had bought aftermarket ones of those also so who knows. I will get some thinner ones to see. here is what I was told, and none of it makes any sense other than the grille opening is the only differences we know of.

I have a 56 GMC that a fella is working on for me. He had bought your 57 chevy pickup front fenders quite a while ago and is finally getting around to trying the fit on the truck. It's a little disappointing as the top rounded part where it meets the front of the door is low on both sides but the cowl edge lines up, they both also have the side reveal too low ( lower than the doors and they also are your doors) and the bottom of the fender sticks down past the door in the front unless you really push up on it to try to line it up. 55-59 doors should all be the same. I know the headlamp and grille differences between the fenders, but why do you have a 57 fender and a 55-56 fender? either should fit other than the grille, but have heard other things like the fender top and reveal line down the side are different. so what do I do now?”

Well, Wayne, you have a couple of things going on here. Number 1, the fenders for a 57 are stand alone, 55-56 and 58-59. Unfortunately, you got the wrong fenders. Not only that but GMC and Chevy were different. And yes, we do have a 55-56 and a 57 fender. So, your guys simply bought the wrong fenders. The correct part number for your truck, if it were a Chevy would be 1097T and 1097U. You may get the grille opening to work for you, I don’t know, I have never tried. As for what we can do? Not a thing. As I said, you simply have the incorrect fenders
I agree 100% with him on the year's differences, but I don't agree with him on the Chevy/GMC difference. I took this from LMC trucks site (same part numbers):

38-9180-T FRONT FENDER-LHCHEVY GMC 55-56
38-9181-T FRONT FENDER-RHCHEVY GMC 55-56
38-9104-T FRONT FENDER-LHCHEVY GMC 57
38-9105-T FRONT FENDER-RHCHEVY GMC 57

The 58-59 is listed the same way Chevy or GMC.

I'll be slicing and dicing and let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hate you'r having to cut those new fender's Jim. You'r right there is no difference in GMC and chevy. I got 2 new 55 fender's for the GMC that I am working on and they fit fine there a little low(not as far off as you'rs) but I have not try'ed to line them up yet. I don't seam to be having that problem, lucky I guess lol with every thing else I have had to do to the thing.

·
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hate you'r having to cut those new fender's Jim. You'r right there is no difference in GMC and chevy. I got 2 new 55 fender's for the GMC that I am working on and they fit fine there a little low(not as far off as you'rs) but I have not try'ed to line them up yet. I don't seam to be having that problem, lucky I guess lol with every thing else I have had to do to the thing.
Yeah, really don't wanna start cutting on them, but at least it's down in between the hood and fender. It should be pretty easy. Just luck of the draw I guess. With all you've had to do you deserve a break!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts