Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advise on hi torque starters I've been told of a company DB-Electrical reasonably priced but I'm reading mixed reviews some good some bad anyone use these starters and what are your thoughts? :hmmmm:

Thx....
-Tim

68,758 Posts
hi tim. got a high-torque powermax starter from eckler's (in my 55, 327eng). fits 153 or 168 tooth flywheel. its small and works great. $150, but can get cheaper other plces probably. bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
792 Posts
I cant remember the name of the member here but i wrote down the info on a HITACHI hight torke starter that he was very pleased with, part# PSL 100. said he got from checkers i think ,same as kragen here in my neck of the woods. or O riellys, think he said it was 129 bucks. rick

·
Premium Member
19,668 Posts
Looking for some advise on hi torque starters I've been told of a company DB-Electrical reasonably priced but I'm reading mixed reviews some good some bad anyone use these starters and what are your thoughts? :hmmmm:

Thx....
-Tim
tim

weve bought quite a few starters and alternators from them , no issues, and they stand behind what they sell

·
Registered
37,982 Posts
Brands aside, think about what you want or can get for a high torque starter.

The old school deal is to use a high torque OEM starter from a late 60s or 70s truck or big block application. You can spot these by looking at the case. On a standard starter, there is a copper lug that comes out of the case and connects to the bottom terminal on the solenoid, and on these the lug connects directly to the solenoid. On a high torque starter, there is a 3/4" long copper spacer tube between the solenoid and the lug.

Another deal is an aftermarket mini-starter. These have permanent magnets and gear reduction. Lots of choices and quality varies.

Final deal is a GM late model permanent magnet gear reduction starter. All the same stuff as the aftermarket mini-starter, but the case is slightly bigger and they are more powerful than a mini-starter. Chevy started using these in the early 90s. They are a touch heavier than a mini, but they still are 1/3 to 1/2 the weight of an old school starter.

If you want to put a GM late model permanent magnet starter on a traditional V8, I know two applications that will work, I've had experience with both. For a starter to go with a 168 tooth flywheel, get one for a 95 Chevy pickup with a 5.7 or bigger engine. For a starter to go with a 153 tooth flywheel, get one for a 95 Camaro Z28. I'm sure there are other applications, but I know those work. As a side note, the 94 Camaro Z28 starter was the same, except it didn't have a replaceable solenoid. These starters use special starter bolts, as do the old school starters. The bolts are different lengths between old and new, as well as some other variables. You can get the bolts at an auto supply.

If you use an old school starter, be sure to use the right bolts and get a GM starter support bracket that goes between the starter and block.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
:) Tim, check out the web site below.

I just put one of there High Torque gear reduction (clockable/rotable) mini starters in my '56 with a 454. Looks good and works great, comes with bolts and shimms.
The clockable/rotable was important to me, there was not much room between the headers and the pan and wanted to keep it away from the headers as much as possible to reduce the heat.

Go to ebay and put in the code # 250567682808

There web site...........www.qualitypowerauto.com

Std model is $120.00, chrome is $10 buck more.

Don, aka.....the hamsman

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Randy you've had good luck with them thats good to hear. I was willing to try their product the price is great but I do understand where Rick is coming from lots of info on that post thanks for that :tu I guess its worth spending more if you really do get a better quality and reliable product.

Thanks to all that posted I like honest reviews you never really know who's writing the ones on product sites (as much as you would like to hope they are real customers)
bowtie-trifive :congrats:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don, thanks for that site they also have the HITACHI high torque Ricka was talking about so you've had good luck with that one cranking the big block even in the heat thats a good thing.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts