Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm getting ready to purchase an aftermarket heat and air setup for my 55 handyman wagon and was wondering which one was the best to buy as far as performance, ease of installation and reliablity. Thank you in advance for you suggestions. Mike

·
Registered
722 Posts
i have a hurricane system (not sure of the brand should be easy to find) in my 56 ford truck. it works ok. not a ice box but ok. its also a loud system. the blower is noisey(air flow noise in the duct tubing.) dont buy that system. onn the plus side it has been super reliable 4 years now. im using a stock chevy r4 compressor. noise has been my only complaint. it could be the truck has no panels inside(steel doors) and thats the issue.

·
KINGS X 56 = R.I.P. August 31, 2014Senior Member 2
2,885 Posts
We put in Vintage Air & it works great, air blows super cold & heater keeps you toasty.

KINGS X 56

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
A/C and heat

I put in Vintage Air by myself and it uses the original bolt holes for the '55. Been 10 years now, works like a charm and wouldn't think of leaving home without it. Charles :wavey:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Has anyone installed or any feed back on the Old Air System?
With this system you do not have to remove the defrost ducts.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
A/C System

I've had Vintage Air on every street rod I have owned and now with the 57 I put Vintage Air Gen.IV Surefit Servo system. 350 motor I run 180 temp down the road, 70-75 mph and after 10 minutes usually have the air cut back to low speed and temp control not on max

·
Registered
36,133 Posts
Vintage Air is the standard of the industry. You are more likely to find systems in inventory. There is a dealer network including installers that the others don't have, at least on the same scale. And they have pretty good customer service.

That said, most of the competitors that offer a custom fit unit for a 55-57, also have good products. I think most of the things that people complain about are common to all.

Pricing is what you can find by shopping or negotiate with a dealer. Factory pricing is about the same on all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts