Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to install an aftermarket air conditioning unit in my 55 2 dr post. Anyone have good /bad luck with any of these? What are some of the benefits/pitfalls? ....Thanks.....

·
Registered
76 Posts
Vintage Air

Good Morning,
I just put the Vintage air system in my 57 BelAir and I love. I'm not a A/C tech but I worked out all the little miss alinement problems over the phone with their tech service and the total job took about 30 hours working by myself. I stayed with the cable system which hook up to my dash controls and I love it. The Vintage Tech talked me out of using the electronic control system, and I'm glad he did. You can call me if you have any problems, I may have a quick fix because not everything that comes out of a box always fits a 50 year old car like they say it will.
Doug Harrell
410-734-7142

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am looking at the vintage air system for my 56 and was going to get the electronic one because all of my cables are shot. Why did they talk you out of the electronic system, are there problems with it?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Doug...sounds like you went to school a little on this one:) I'm wondering also why he didn't want you to run the cables. I talked to two guys who said they worked ok for them, but ?? I want to learn before I take the leap.
Also, has anyone run the "Old Air" brand? Supposedly this is a more condensed unit and is easier to install.."supposedly"...lol The whole unit isn't as big..again,, supposedly...

Thanks for all your input, Rich

·
Registered
76 Posts
Let me correct my comment

Good morning, Let me rephrase my comments. I get my parts from East Coast Chevy in Pa. they have been selling Trifive parts and Service since 1976. They sale and install both systems both Vintage Air Systems. I took my salesman advice and went with the cable system which he also put in his own car. Both systems work very well. They do state in their Catalog that their shop Tech's perfer the cable unit which are simpler to install. I'm sorry about the mistake it wasn't a Vintage Air Tech but my sale's person from East Coast Chevy, which by the way have always given me good advice on parts and service questions. The Vintage Air Tech's were excellent with answering all my question on installation and very promp about calling me back the same day if I couldn't get threw on the phone and had to leave a message. The unit I used came with all new cables and everything you need to do a good job, like I said it took me about 30 hours working alone and it was the first time I installed A/C in anything. Sorry about my mistake I'll have to do a better job of proof reading next time. Doug Harrell

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Doug....absolutely no need for apologies here. I have never seen more freindly people than here on these forums. Your generous knowledge and unselfishness is what counts!!
I was wondering, are the cables more cost effective than the servos? Do they last longer? Less problematic? I do like to hear they were easier to install. Simplicity of installation, ice cold air, and longevity are my main concern. I hear they can run about $1150. Is there a better place to buy it vs another? Thanks!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Vintage Air

The complete " Vintage " New Heater/Air Conditioning system from East Coast Chevy is $1249.00 with Elect. controls and $1095.00 with cable control. I like everything about the system the heater and A/C both work great. I liked the simple cable system because I don't like trouble shooting elect systems if I have a control problem, that's just me I'm a retired Aircraft Mechanic and I know cables are normally trouble free. I did add a 17" six blade Fan and Fan shroud which keeps me running at our below 180 deg and 200 deg at a long idel on Hot summer day. One draw back to the bigger fan is that it makes it a roar at high speeds. I'm sure which ever unit you use you will love it.
Doug Harrell

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all your input Doug. I also like the sound of trouble free mechanical cables. I'm definitely no electrician by any means...lol I hope you don't mind if I keep your number handy just in case of emergency :confused:
I want to get started on this after the holidays...I'll let everyone know how it goes........Rich

·
Registered
321 Posts
I don't want to hijack the thread, but do these systems totaly replace the fan underhood and fender ducts as well as the buldge on the firewall? Just curious. Thanks.

Cheers

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dave...good question. The only thing I was told was to get the unit that works right off of the original..... heat/outside air.. vent/fan control on the dash. This makes for a neater appearance. Maybe someone here can give us the scoop on the rest.........

·
Registered
76 Posts
Vintage Air

Good Morning, The system replaces everything under the hood the only thing in the engine compartment is the compressor,dryer, and hose's. You get a blank off cap where the heater duct on the right fender used to be and a nice cover plate where the fan mounted which your new hose's pass threw. The complete unit fit's under the dash with new defrost ducts and the only thing you see is the three air duct's. Look's really nice not like the old systems which hung a box under your dash. You still have outside fresh air and as stated before every thing works off the orginal controls and fan switch. The kit includes a smaller glove box about half the size of your old one.
Doug

·
Registered
321 Posts
That's good to know Doug, thanks. I figured as much as I installed one of these aftermarket systems in my 34 Ford hotrod I built a while back and that ws totaly underdash. The system was by Airtique, out of TX. It was a good system, all self contained. What I didn't like was the controller. I'll do cables next as the vacuum servos and electrical conections were just another thing that was a pain to install. The 34 had ZIPPO room under the dash and everything was bigtime tight. Not to mention the custom console I made for it took up a ton of room too. Cables would have been much easier and think once I find the tri-five I'm hunting for, the cable system AC will be the way to go.

·
Premium Member
10,931 Posts
Vintage Air

I've used the cable operated Vintage Air systems in two cars, a 55 and a 56. Both worked very well and were easy to install. I'm currently working on my 57 and have purchased a Vintage electronic unit for this application. It too looks fairly simple.

I haven't used any of the other systems on the market, but have had good results with Vintage Air.

Just my two cents.

Ray

·
Registered
70 Posts
Vintage Air Unit

Good Morning,
I just put the Vintage air system in my 57 BelAir and I love. I'm not a A/C tech but I worked out all the little miss alinement problems over the phone with their tech service and the total job took about 30 hours working by myself. I stayed with the cable system which hook up to my dash controls and I love it. The Vintage Tech talked me out of using the electronic control system, and I'm glad he did. You can call me if you have any problems, I may have a quick fix because not everything that comes out of a box always fits a 50 year old car like they say it will.
Doug Harrell
410-734-7142
Hey Guys
I was after a Vintage Air unit like the one you are talking about, I have Heard that they don't suit a Right hand drive Cars. I was wondering if you could shed a little light on this. Maybe some slight modification, I don't know. Would you be able to let me know if being RHD would make any difference to for the installation of this unit.
Cheers Troy

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Does the Vintage air system, come with new cables. I know you use the original heater control unit, do I need to save cable or , will I get new set.

Of course I have to save up to buy the unit the start with.

Otis

1 - 20 of 40 Posts