Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I purchased a modified 1955 150 sedan. I've been working at fixing some issues that the previous owner let slip over the years. The one that is currently stumping me is the windshield wiper system. The car had an aftermarket wiper motor installed (Danchuk 11224).

The wiper system is consistently blowing the inline fuse. The fuse blows after a random amount of time but it follows a pattern. If the system is cold, it takes about five minutes for the fuse to blow. If I replace the fuse immediately after it blows, nine times out of ten the next fuse will blow as soon as the switch is turned on. If I wait a few minutes before changing the fuse, it seems to be back to the five minutes (give or take) before the fuse goes.

During my troubleshooting I've tried larger fuses (20A vs 15A), checking the wiring of the switch, checking the switch for shorts and checked the temperature of the wiper motor. All seems normal. The timing to me seems like a heat related issue but I can't find anything that seems remotely hot.

I did try replacing the three position knob switch that came with the aftermarket with a simple on-off switch connected to one of the three speeds. When that was connected, everything works normally and the fuse doesn't blow.

Although I haven't checked all of the wiring between the switch and the ground and the switch and the motor (not looking forward to removing miles of electrical tape under the dash), I think it may be the switch based on the replacement switch test but am I potentially missing something? I'm new to the hobby and I'm still learning as I go. Sourcing an exact replacement switch may be an issue so I'd like to eliminate everything else before I go to the trouble of finding one.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,740 Posts
A few weeks ago I purchased a modified 1955 150 sedan. I've been working at fixing some issues that the previous owner let slip over the years. The one that is currently stumping me is the windshield wiper system. The car had an aftermarket wiper motor installed (Danchuk 11224).

The wiper system is consistently blowing the inline fuse. The fuse blows after a random amount of time but it follows a pattern. If the system is cold, it takes about five minutes for the fuse to blow. If I replace the fuse immediately after it blows, nine times out of ten the next fuse will blow as soon as the switch is turned on. If I wait a few minutes before changing the fuse, it seems to be back to the five minutes (give or take) before the fuse goes.

During my troubleshooting I've tried larger fuses (20A vs 15A), checking the wiring of the switch, checking the switch for shorts and checked the temperature of the wiper motor. All seems normal. The timing to me seems like a heat related issue but I can't find anything that seems remotely hot.

I did try replacing the three position knob switch that came with the aftermarket with a simple on-off switch connected to one of the three speeds. When that was connected, everything works normally and the fuse doesn't blow.

Although I haven't checked all of the wiring between the switch and the ground and the switch and the motor (not looking forward to removing miles of electrical tape under the dash), I think it may be the switch based on the replacement switch test but am I potentially missing something? I'm new to the hobby and I'm still learning as I go. Sourcing an exact replacement switch may be an issue so I'd like to eliminate everything else before I go to the trouble of finding one.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

I think you have already found your issue, if the fuse does not blow with another switch, it sure sound's like the one from Danchuck is either faulty or the wires are touching each other and arcing out were they plug into the back of the switch. It personally sounds like there is a issue inside of the switch that has to heat up, and that is why it takes 5 to 10 minutes of run time before it pops the fuse

The original stock switch's for the wipers were vacuum, so i am assuming the new system came with a switch from Danchuck just like my new electrical up graded W/W's did, call Danchuck and i am sure they will either give or sell you a new one (most likely sell you one :))

Here is another way of testing the switch if you are comfortable doing it, and it should be just fine since you have a fuse in case some thing happens, just unplug the wires from the back of the switch, and grab the red wire which should be your hot feed and touch it to the yellow or blue wire for a couple of minutes, the w/w's should work just fine, and if they do not blow the fuse, you can determine it is a faulty switch, if they still blow the fuse with out the switch hooked up, you either have a short in the wiring going to the motor, or the motor is heating up and causing the fuse to blow..... :anim_25:

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
Thanks Rick, I appreciate it. I'll check with Danchuk tomorrow.
Try taking the arms off the shafts and lubricate the shafts. Leave the arms off and see if it blows the fuse.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
I don't know anything about the unit you have, but there still a few things you can check. Is it a 2 speed wiper motor? You said it ran fine with a simple on off switch. Which speed, hi or low? Where did you connect the temporary switch, under the dash using the existing wires? If all answers are yes, change the temporary switch to the other speed if it still works and doesn't blow a fuse, its probably in your 2 speed switch. If it blows the fuse on the other speed, its in the wiper motor.:anim_25:

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,833 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comments everyone. It is a two speed wiper motor. When I checked with the alternate switch I didn't check both connections, just the low speed wire. An oversight on my part.

Tonight I pulled the switch again and tested both the low and high wires. On high the motor does some strange things, it runs fast then slow, then fast again and finally quits. It didn't blow a fuse this time, just stopped. When I checked it was warm.

After waiting a few minutes I tried with the low speed wire and it worked again. I tried the original switch that came with it and blew another fuse.

I had previously pulled the wiper arms off while running the test. I just have to figure out how to lubricate the shafts.

In the meantime I'll contact Newport and see if they have any suggestions. I'd really like to not replace the motor for a just in case scenario.

Thanks again everyone.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
If the high speed on the motor is bad, It may have damaged the switch by pulling too much current. If you think it acted funny and it might be lack of lube, Remove the motor connect up a good - ground wire to the motor, and try running the high speed test again. If it still acts erratically and stops, the motor is probably bad. I would replace it and the switch.
Hope you get it sorted out! :anim_25:
:flag6:bowtie-trifive

1 - 8 of 8 Posts