Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my "gen" light came on, ever, ever, ever so dim. put the volt gauge on the battery, 13.98. acceptable. revving it, stays on, ever, ever, ever so dim. where do ya start? strange. it`s like a VERY little pin-point dot.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,424 Posts
You probably have a poor connection between the alternator and the ignition switch. The gen light is turned on by a difference in voltage between the regulator and the ignition switch side of the bulb. If the alternator/regulator voltage is 13.98, but the voltage getting to the ignition switch is only ,say, 12.5, the gen light will glow.
Check the voltage at the switch or fuse panel and see if it's the same as battery voltage with the engine running. Too small gauge wiring can cause this because of the voltage drop in the wire, but if it just started, it's probably a poor connection someplace.

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i don`t get it. out of the blue it started. in fact, i just adjusted the headlites. they were kinda high. geez, 2 turns on the asdjustment, and now this.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,424 Posts
i don`t get it. out of the blue it started. in fact, i just adjusted the headlites. they were kinda high. geez, 2 turns on the asdjustment, and now this.
Do you have a generator or alternator? If you have a generator, check the ground wire on the regulator.

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i guess i should have gave more info. 3-wire, 94 amp alt. wired so the gen. lite works also. internal reg.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts