Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A family member got into a small fender bender a couple days ago. Did some damage to the front of her Ford fusion. Virtually no harm to her, *except* from the air bag. It tore her right arm open all the way from the wrist to the elbow, all the way to the bone. Her arm looked like a butterflied lobster tail.

130+ stitches, and they still can't close the wound due to missing tissue. I have no idea about permanent damage, but this could be very serious for an elderly person. Infection and blood poisoning are very real dangers during the healing process.

Trying to process this in my mind, I Googled some images of air bag injuries, and they are not for the squeamish. Chemical burns, heat burns, dislocated thumbs, and serious tissue trauma can result. Sure, it beats death in a violent crash, but for such a minor accident, this particular case turned out far worse than it should have been.

Thoughts and prayers, we could use them. :p3:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hope that your family member heals up ok and that no other issues come up.

Seems as though the whole air bag system needs to be re-thought.

I did see a thing the other day on steering wheel hand positions. They said that the old standard 10 & 2 does not work any more because of the air bags. They now recommend 8 & 4.

·
Registered
Cocke County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
8,733 Posts
Wow! Sounds like some new safety features need a lot more refining.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
12 years ago, I smashed my camaro badly...the air bags went off and I was 10 inches from them. I hardly felt anything...in a second, they were on my lap and the passenger seat and the dash was smoking. They are supposed to be harmful that close but I never felt them...it was like a soft, silk cloth hitting me.

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,001 Posts
Sorry for your family members injuries and hope she recovers.

Most times women get hurt more than men in slow speed crashes. As they are shorter and set right on the air bad and men are taller and set farther way. So now all manufactures have adjustable pedals. But most people don't use them are can't reach the wheel so they move the seat setting right on the wheel. This is very dangerous.

If anyone has a short wife or daughter. I would make sure they are adjusting their seats right. They should sit with arms almost fully extended. Then adjust pedals to their feet. The will help prevent injuries from air bags in crashes.

·
Registered
67,707 Posts
prayers sent. :p3:

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
We're far better with them, than without. I tested a set at 60 mph when I t-boned a woman that ran a red light. I walked away as a believer...

Charlie

·
Administrator
66,105 Posts
Theres a push here for side impact curtain airbag wpuldnt want to go through the windscreen either.

BTW hope she makes a full recovery

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Hope your family member will be OK, 56-210HT! That is a serious injury and likely unnecessary in the crash you described. I'd definitely see a good lawyer about this. There may be other Ford Fusion owners who have been injured similarly in minor crashes.

G-d bless,

Harry

·
Registered
12,124 Posts
WOW that is really sickening to picture what your family member went through. I hope she has a very safe and speedy recovery.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for the support. :tu:congrats:bowtie-trifive

She is doing well, after some scary times when they went to check the bandages. Removing the wrapping was no day in the park, from what my wife told me. New bandages are much better and allow for some better breathing for the wound. Now they are waiting to set an appointment with a plastic surgeon to see what can be done for skin grafts and recovery. It going to be a long haul, but she's a real trooper.

I know the value of air bags, and how many lives they have saved. It's just unfortunate in this case how things turned out. This is just the beginning of what may be a long journey for her to recovery.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
I hope she gets better soon!
My younger brother,Don is 75% disabled because of a wreck involving air bags.
His new Toyota truck (4000 miles!)hydroplaned @30 mph on a city street,hit the curb and bounced(bags went off),then jumped a parking curb and hit a magnolia tree.
The bag destroyed his face and the crash ruined his right ankle,knee and hip.
And,I watched the docs peel the bandages out of and off his face after surgery.Took a long time for recovery.
BUT,without them he might have died!
They do save lives,but don't work well at lower speeds and on small people.
Hopefully in time,airbags will evolve as seat belts have and become much safer.
Mike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts