Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
You'll get better answers asking for this to be moved to the Suspension forum.

I have the RideTech rear AirBar system, front Shockwaves and E3 Ride Controller. Very feasible, not too difficult to install (all bolt-in unless you get the rear Air Bar), all you need is money. :)

I'll also tell you not to scrimp on whatever brand Ride Controller you get. That is what makes Air Ride work well, or be a major annoyance.

Charlie

·
Administrator
50,561 Posts
Would it be feasible to install airbags in a triFive? Anyone ever done it, or seen it done? Thinking about my next build, and collecting ideas,
You'll get better answers asking for this to be moved to the Suspension forum.
My take on the question and the forum he posted it in he is talking "safety airbags".
Can the original poster please clarify?
Terry

·
Registered
270 Posts
Since the OP has posted this in the interior section, we should assume we are talking about the modern safety air bag system in the dash, not suspension air bags.....am I correct?

Agreed, that would not be practical on any level.
Computer controlled safety air bags with calibrated sensors are engineered for each vehicle. They take into consideration hundreds of hours of destructive testing of the crumple zones.

Have you considered a padded dash??:)

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Wow, this is a riot! This post is going all over the place!

I too, thought that since it was in the interior section that the OP meant safety airbags, like for the driver & passenger.

Goes to show you how each of us reads things differently.

·
Registered
38,755 Posts
I think since it's in the interior section, the safety air bags are what's meant.

But OB Mike has also posted recently about aftermarket frames, so I don't know.

As far as the safety air bags, I suppose there are ways to replicate the air bag in the steering wheel of a late model. I think it would take a lot of study on the sensors and wiring, as well as the air bag itself. Installing a passenger air bag would be a much bigger deal. I think you might have to enlist the help of a GM tech (or their training materials) to get this right without a risk of deployment when it's not wanted.

One thing that is unsafe about a 55-57 is the steering column. Even most of the aftermarket tilt columns are not collapsible in a wreck. Flaming River is the only one that I know of that offers this feature. I'd start with one of those.

Beyond that, a superior set of seat belt/shoulder restraints would be in order. Ulitimately that might require a roll bar with the proper cross bars etc.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Considering one might come up with a way to mount and wire Air Bags from something, into a Tri-Five. How do you test to see if what you have would even work or deploy? If you buy salvage yard stuff, who knows... if you buy new, big $$$.

Not feasible IMHO.

Charlie

·
Registered
1955 210 SERIES, 406 DUAL QUAD ENGINE WITH MUNCIE 4 SPEED
4,493 Posts
Never happen,not a good idea. Air bags are part of a system, including sensors, crumple zones, unique steering columns,break away steering shafts, knee bolsters, seat belt retention and alot more.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Safety airbags

I would like to thank everyone for their advice
, on all topics! I would have guessed the "not a good idea" on the airbags, but this forum continues to amaze me with the creative ideas you all bring to our hobby/passion. Thanks again!:flag6:

·
Registered
912 Posts
air bags are only good for 10 years, after that you're on your own. so getting one from the scrap yard wouldn't be all that great anyway. and I agree it's just to much trouble. if your driving a tri 5 or any car back in the day, believe me you have a better chance in the solid steel than the tin foil they make now. jeff

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.