Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking to buy some QA1 coil overs for the front of my car because I already have some in the rear, but now Im thinking of doing an air ride. What are your opinions on which I should go with? Im going to use the car strictly for cruising and long drives with the family.

·
Administrator
66,151 Posts
Air bag suspension will give you a softer ride compared to coil over, air bag needs a little getting used to especially when going round corners.

Air bag is alos adjustable to get the right ride height.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
I was looking to buy some QA1 coil overs for the front of my car because I already have some in the rear, but now Im thinking of doing an air ride. What are your opinions on which I should go with? Im going to use the car strictly for cruising and long drives with the family.
Boobs,
Can only speak about coilovers and I've replaced mine and went back to stock springs. I do have dropped spindles tho. The ride was way too rigid! Riding on the bump stops. If you go with coilovers, don't cut corners. Weigh the front and get the correct rated springs. Oh and don't buy a cheap pair of coilovers. I went with the QA1 Economy model. They are formerly Carreras.

If you're going for drives with the family I would seriously make sure ride comfort is up there when you make a decision.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just remember that it's all about having the proper set-up.
Coilovers are no different really than a standard spring and shock. The difference is just that the spring is now attached. The biggest problem I see most people have is just getting what "fits" or bolts right in.
Airbags are pretty much the same too. Airbags are simply a progressive spring. The correct size bag and shock combination still needs to be used in order for is to work correctly or give you the best ride. I've had cars that ride like Cadillacs and on the opposite end I've had cars I've ran autocross with; both on air.
Whichever way you go, just stick with it. You may have some changes or fine tuning involved to get it exactly how you want it.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Coil overs are very adjustable to get comfort and height you are looking for.Bags are also adjustable .I drove a guys car that had bags and no matter how we twisted the knobs it felt like the car had no sway bars on it. He said one time a hose came apart on the rear and he dragged butt all the way home and rubbed a tire almost through . Some people love bags .. I think I would pass on them... Just my 2 cents worth...........

·
Registered
137 Posts
suede48;1145901I drove a guys car that had bags and no matter how we twisted the knobs it felt like the car had no sway bars on it. He said one time a hose came apart on the rear and he dragged butt all the way home and rubbed a tire almost through .[/QUOTE said:
That's a good point. No matter what, if you run bags, make sure you run a 4 way system; isolate each bag individually. Not saying this is what happened in this case, but the "no sway bar" feeling comes from air transfer from bag to bag. Not only is it a crappy ride, but it's dangerous. Turn right, all the air goes to the left bag, and it get's worse exponentially.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can have a car ride very good with airbags and you can have a car ride very well with coil-overs.

1.With the bag set up it is very important to have your bag installed at the correct ride height that the bag is designed for.

2.You also want to have the correct length on your shock to work with the air bag.

3.For the airbag system you want to go to a 4 wheel setup to operate the bags on all corners.Where you can control pressures on each corner.

To do the bags it will cost you more money to go with if you set it up the correct way

For coil-overs you can get your car to ride very well to.

1.You will need to have the correct length in the shock you go with and min of a 3.5 stroke.

2.You want to have the correct spring rate for the coil-overs and the weight of your car and what motor combo you are running

With either of these setups you can have a nice driving car

One more option is we a complete front clip for your car that will replace the complete front suspension if would rather go this way.

Justin
www.scottshotrods.com

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can have a car ride very good with airbags and you can have a car ride very well with coil-overs.

1.With the bag set up it is very important to have your bag installed at the correct ride height that the bag is designed for.

2.You also want to have the correct length on your shock to work with the air bag.

3.For the airbag system you want to go to a 4 wheel setup to operate the bags on all corners.Where you can control pressures on each corner.

To do the bags it will cost you more money to go with if you set it up the correct way

For coil-overs you can get your car to ride very well to.

1.You will need to have the correct length in the shock you go with and min of a 3.5 stroke.

2.You want to have the correct spring rate for the coil-overs and the weight of your car and what motor combo you are running

With either of these setups you can have a nice driving car

One more option is we have a complete front clip for your car that will replace the complete front suspension if would rather go this way.

Justin
www.scottshotrods.com

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice. I think I'm gonna go with the coil overs for now due to my budget. How do I determine what weight I should go with? I got a 350 small block in the car and nothing else that weighs it down.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,045 Posts
Boobs,
Can only speak about coilovers and I've replaced mine and went back to stock springs. I do have dropped spindles tho. The ride was way too rigid! Riding on the bump stops. If you go with coilovers, don't cut corners. Weigh the front and get the correct rated springs. Oh and don't buy a cheap pair of coilovers. I went with the QA1 Economy model. They are formerly Carreras.

If you're going for drives with the family I would seriously make sure ride comfort is up there when you make a decision.
HE SAID ---BOOBS!!!!!:sign0020::sign0020::sign0020::sign0020:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts