Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking into getting a air compressor and was just wondering what you guys thought of the craftsman line?
I was going to pick up this one I seen on sale,It was a craftsman 1.6 HP and either a 26 or 33 gallon tank, I forget. For just about $300.
Im only looking to use it for around the garage,mainly to run a impact wrench when I need to service the car from time to time and just fill tires.
So just wondering if anyone had luck with the craftsman line or Not?
Or if there is a better one somewhere else for about the same money.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
I have a Craftsman that I bought in the 70's thats gone through 2 tanks and is now a back-up compressor since I went with a larger one. But that was before everything was made in China while U.S. citizens are looking for jobs. (Get off soapbox). :rolleyes: Most of the big store compressors are made by the same manufacture such as Campbell-Hassfield anyway.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
I have my dad's Craftsman 2 h.p. that he bought in 1974, and mine that I bought in 1976.Both still run.
But,they are old and I needed something bigger and better,so I now have a 7.5 h.p. I/R.
I would stay away from the "oil-less" type compressors.
And buy the biggest and best you can afford!
Mike.:bowtieb::)

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I started with a 60 gal upright Craftsman Professional oiless... 125 max psi. after 2 years I sold it in the paper, very loud in my opinion, and constantly running to catch up.

I sold it and bought a 2 stage 7.5 hp 80 gallon and love it.

My brother has a little Craftsman like the one you are looking at, when he uses that one up, he wants a bigger one.

Good luck.
Gil

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I started with a 60 gal upright Craftsman Professional oiless... 125 max psi. after 2 years I sold it in the paper, very loud in my opinion, and constantly running to catch up.

I sold it and bought a 2 stage 7.5 hp 80 gallon and love it.

My brother has a little Craftsman like the one you are looking at, when he uses that one up, he wants a bigger one.

Good luck.
Gil

·
Registered
1 Posts
For doing what you mentioned, it will probably be fine. I have had one for about 8 years and it still works fine. When I started doing sheet metal work recenty, it struggles to catch up with the cutter. It works great for an occasional flat, impact wrench, etc. If you plan on doing lots of work in a big shop, you need to go bigger.

·
Premium Member
10,936 Posts
I have a Craftsman 60 gallon upright compressor. It has done a great job, and I'd recommend it to anyone with a home shop. Be sure to get a "belt driven compressor" type. The direct drives are very noisy, and in my opinion, not as good.

Ray

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
I have a Craftsman 60 gallon upright compressor. It has done a great job, and I'd recommend it to anyone with a home shop. Be sure to get a "belt driven compressor" type. The direct drives are very noisy, and in my opinion, not as good.

Ray
Stay away from the direct drive oil less ones. Ive hear some fly apart with potential lethal results.

·
Trifive on Facebook Admin
1,826 Posts
Oilless are very noisy. Had a craftsman 26 gallon but sold it because of the noise and size. If spend another 100-150 you could find a biger and quieter one you'll be happy with. Just my.02

1 - 11 of 11 Posts