Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Trifive Certified Restoration Shop
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys all know how much work I get done in the shop which means my compressor runs a lot.

I just finished the 47, Shawns 57, and the 71 Cutlass, and have more projects scheduled in for July.

It has lasted me 15 years and counting now, but does show signs of slowing down. Well Saturday while my son and I were working on the 71 Cutlass, my son looked up and said " Dad is that supposed to be leaking there?"

I looked around behind me as I was holding the rear bumper in place for the Cutlass and low and behold the expensive air drier system I have mounted on the wall had sprung a leak on the bottom of the desiccant drier cylinder.

We did what we had to do and then shut the air off. Sure enough it developed a pin hole in the bottom of the cylinder. Could I weld it back up? Yeah Probably, But would it hold or crack somewhere else? It just might. There was probably a lot more rust inside the cylinder that we can see from the out side, and being a desiccant tank, I doubt it would smell very nice if I did.

I'll be looking at replacing it when I return from our 10 day summer camp.

I've used the Cam AIR system for years and may go with another one unless you guys have ideas for one that may be better.

Post your comments and I'll look at them when I get a chance after I get back.

·
Trifive Certified Restoration Shop
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do plan on replacing the air dryer system instead of repairing it.

I've looked at three systems so far and they range from $600 -5800

Let me know what you guys might recommend.

VanAir

Air Systems

CamAir

There's about 50' of line before the air dryer/ separators and regulators.
Compressor puts out approx. 18 CFM at 150psi.
Humidity around here is terrible in the Spring and Summer.

I'm interested in what other have for dryer systems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.