Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Painting my '57 in July, building a temp paint booth in my 3 car garage. What have any of you used ? I'll probably run 3 box fans on one end and a grouping of filters over them and on other end. I am aware of the fire hazard with paint over spray. I don't want to drop $100 a piece for real paint booth filters but also don't want something that'll put silicone/garbage/etc. in the air.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Is it going to be a one shot deal or are you planning on setting up shop.
If it is for one time only it really depends on how your shop is laid out. You can take home depots filters on edge then drop the door on them ,bag the crap out of the openings , on the exhaust side after the fans take your garden sprinkler and hang it on your wall. This will drive all the spay on the ground.
This is a very crude way of doing it but it can be done. Also bag all your interior walls with poly

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it going to be a one shot deal or are you planning on setting up shop.
If it is for one time only it really depends on how your shop is laid out. You can take home depots filters on edge then drop the door on them ,bag the crap out of the openings , on the exhaust side after the fans take your garden sprinkler and hang it on your wall. This will drive all the spay on the ground.
This is a very crude way of doing it but it can be done. Also bag all your interior walls with poly
It's a one shot deal. No more painting cars after this one...thanks for the ideas.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
I utilize the entry door which has a full length screen door for the air intake and that I've used the roll furnace filter (30" wide) to cover the entire screen door on the outside. I just duct tape it down to the screen door. The air pulls it toward the door instead of pulling the filter off the door if I put it on inside. I was lucky to find a paint booth fan and it's part of the shop on the opposite end. This way, I can keep the overhead door closed and sealed. Most of your dirt will come off the floor and believe it or not, off the hose when you're dragging it around. Put clean plastic on your floor unless you want it painted too. Same goes for your walls. I have a 12' ceiling so I don't worry much about getting paint up there.

·
Administrator
70,786 Posts
The filters usually clogg up pretty quickly blocking the airflow to the motor which is where hazards are created.

Look out for a filter that is easy to either replace or allows good airflow through it.

Wet the floor as well before you start to pick up the over spray.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like I need to take a trip to Lowes and pick up some filters. I had read somewhere that some filters had silicone on them that could blow off and contaminate the fresh paint. Haven't heard from anyone on here that happened to.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Painting my '57 in July, building a temp paint booth in my 3 car garage. What have any of you used ? I'll probably run 3 box fans on one end and a grouping of filters over them and on other end. I am aware of the fire hazard with paint over spray. I don't want to drop $100 a piece for real paint booth filters but also don't want something that'll put silicone/garbage/etc. in the air.

Any suggestions?
Fuzzy came to my house for a week and we painted the 57 inside my three car garage.
Before he came I power washed everything that was to be inside the plastic walls.
Then with 50 feet of ten foot plastic I stapled the plastic to the ceiling.
On the floor, 2x4s were laid on the plastic to hold it down.
When it was completed there was only one entry into the paint booth.
Five furnace filters were graphed into the plastic walls allowing fresh air in.
My successful paint job was due to Fuzzy and the exhaust duct going to a window. The exhaust duct was the size of a box fan and it had a box fans at each end of the duct. So one fan was in the booth and the other was in the window. Two fans in the duct was necessary to remove the over-spray and fumes. While spraying the clear coat we still got a little fog.
Borrow numerous halogen lights, ten if possible.
You will need to address the problem of water in your air compressor. Since the compressor will be running so much and with the current high humidity you will have a problem unless you take care of it in advance.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fuzzy came to my house for a week and we painted the 57 inside my three car garage.
Before he came I power washed everything that was to be inside the plastic walls.
Then with 50 feet of ten foot plastic I stapled the plastic to the ceiling.
On the floor, 2x4s were laid on the plastic to hold it down.
When it was completed there was only one entry into the paint booth.
Five furnace filters were graphed into the plastic walls allowing fresh air in.
My successful paint job was due to Fuzzy and the exhaust duct going to a window. The exhaust duct was the size of a box fan and it had a box fans at each end of the duct. So one fan was in the booth and the other was in the window. Two fans in the duct was necessary to remove the over-spray and fumes. While spraying the clear coat we still got a little fog.
Borrow numerous halogen lights, ten if possible.
You will need to address the problem of water in your air compressor. Since the compressor will be running so much and with the current high humidity you will have a problem unless you take care of it in advance.

Wow, you and Fuzzy did a great job on your '57. Thanks for all the paint booth/filter ideas.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Careful- belts on 'real' booth fans are non-static. Don't blow yourself up by having a belt drive fan pulling through the booth instead of pushing in unless they are non-static belts. Notice the'real' fans are aluminum nonsparking.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts

Any suggestions?

First off, exhaust gasses across a motor winding is risky. Here's a great option, just need a larger fan. I found setting the fan to push fresh air into the booth, and gravity exhaust opening is much safer. The only air across the motor(s) is clean vapor free. I set an old evap cooler unit in one end (3,500-5,000 cfm) and a row of exhaust opening at the opposite end. Filter the air coming in to keep the bugs out and either use cheap furnace filters on the exhaust side or use nothing....

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Careful- belts on 'real' booth fans are non-static. Don't blow yourself up by having a belt drive fan pulling through the booth instead of pushing in unless they are non-static belts. Notice the'real' fans are aluminum nonsparking.
Also, keep in mind, commercial paint booths have spark proof fan blades and or shaft covers along with sealed explosion proof motors). Normally aluminum so things don't start sparking if a fan flies to pieces. Can't be to careful when moving fumes from flammable materials! These box fans have holes in the motor housings to let air into the windings for cooling. They let flammable vapors in too!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.