Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
hello there... here are a few of a 56 that i built for a guy this summer. The system has the shockwaves on all corners and it also has a roadster shop chassis. The shockwaves are the best but i have used the coolride system also....I have done about a dozen airride systems and i really prefer it over coil overs or anything else....Bret

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THE 56 LOOK KILLER MAN I LOVE IT . HOW DOSE IT RIDE USEDING THE SHOCKWAVES I HAVE OWN 2-TRUCK ON AIR RIDER SUSPENSION IT LIKE THIM

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have air ride on my truck. I also have shockwaves on all four corners. To use shockwaves on a car I think you would have to change suspension components on your car as well. They are used in lieu of a coil over shock. If you are building a car you are going to drive and not trailer you should know that the shockwaves w internal laser measuring or adding levers w the E3 controller is the only way to hit the exact same ride height every time. The allignment moves with the height. You can get the heights close by using pressures but not exact. With all that said I think they look real good parked low.. Here is mine still under construction.

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
Here's mine, and what lies underneath... Best of luck with yours, you'll love it if you put it on RideTech Air Ride... BDR...:cool:

·
Registered
865 Posts
bigwes57,

Air Ride is a complex System, and IMO, you should do some research. Talk with your local Speed Shops that have installed and serviced them.

I did a long research prior to the install of Air Ride in all four corners of my '56 and in a friends as well. As an Engineer, I'm very selective.

I first installed the. Air Suspension components, Air Bag / Shocks up front and Air Bags in the rear. All of my suspension components are new. The front shocks and air bag shock combination.

The rear are a bags in the center of the main spring arc, mounted rear of the axle. I have a main spring, a 60 inch full spring under the main spring and finally a 12 inch base spring, so three in total. So if have a catastrophic rear air bag or air line failure, the three springs will support the '56 enough to get home. The lower spring plate is from Earle Williams part of his Traction Bar Kit, excellent kit by the way.

I (We) purchased and assembled our our air pods for the air supply system. The Air tank is a Viair 1 gallon with a bottom water drain, very important to have a drain, many tanks do not. The air pump and a few other parts are Viair with an ASCO air valve, the most expensive component. The attached air pod pic has a Ride Tech Air Valve. The one gallon tank capacity has worked out well and fits snugly on the drivers side on the battery mounted in the thunk over the rear axle. WE built our own air pod because the ones available were too large for the space available. WE also added a air connection for an air line, just in case I or someone else needs some air in a tire.

Initially I only had air lines ran into the trunk and filled them by hand with a portable air tank. I was still researching the air supply system. This worked pretty well. I then completed the air supply system, or Air Pod as sold by a supplier. For now I have 4 switches up front to change my '56 ride position. The 4 switches are simple center off momentary switches, push up to fill and down to deflate. Works quite well, very inexpensive too!

I and several of my friends do not care to install any of the available air ride control units, for many of our own personal reasons. So, since we are a small Engineering Firm primarily an Industrial Electronic design, We are designing our own custom air ride controller. At this point We are still evaluation OEM air rides systems and respective electronics.

The rear air ride takes some work to install. I welded in the rear air bag top brackets to the frame. We had to cut the top brackets and modify most of the parts in the "TRI-5" supplied kit. Most of the hardware was incorrect, perhaps the kit was a Generic kit. But, the rear air bag kit is not expensive. And if some day and air bag needs replacement, there are inexpensive.

I'm still not happy with the front air ride. I'm going to remove the shock / air bag component and install a seperate air bar with an external shock This is not a simple install, it requires cut and welding several components to the frame. But, I'll end up with a larger diameter air bag and an external shock that I can change at will. And the air bags are inexpensive to replace. Tech support at several air bag companies told me that this will result in a Smoother ride.

The air bag / shock component in an expensive parts, and I've already had three failures.

I'm happy with the air ride in my '56. It was a good investment. But, I researched and spoke with the owners of several Speed Shops prior to any purchases. Changing the front air component is my own personal preference. I understand many are satisfied with the shock / air bags combination part.

If you need pics of the rear air bag install or a part list for a air pod, let me know.

Good Luck with yorr air ride project !

Michael

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts