Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
back when i had my`55, i made an "air ***" for it. it actually ran 10 degrees cooler on the road. a simple 3 inch by about 18 inch, flat piece of aluminum, under the radiator, maybe frame mounted or radiator support mounted, i forget. driving, it actually makes some kind of negative air under the hood, actaually pulls the hot air out of the engine compartment, which in turn, pulls more air in thru the radiator. sounds goofy, maybe. but i remember it worked.............................anyway, did any of you guys try this or have one? i`d like to put one on my `57, but i did`nt even look at it yet. it just hit me that i did it, a few years back. that`s all, thanx.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,424 Posts
That word is apparently blocked by the software as being offensive, but it should only be that word with an "N" on it. Most lakes have a "***". :)

Core supports have a baffle at the bottom to block the air from going around the radiator instead of through the radiator. The better you can seal between the core support and engine compartment, the more air will go through the radiator. Air conditioned cars even had rubber like seals around the core support to get more air through the A/C condensor. ....http://www.trifive.com/garage/57%20Chevy%20Assembly%20Manual/110-3-01.gif

·
Administrator
48,740 Posts
As Don shows the 57 should have that lower baffle from the factory, plus the back side is blocked off too. So i don`t see how another or different baffle would change anything.
Terry

·
Premium Member
7,488 Posts
air baffle

i readmo years ago inone of Smokey's evaluations of 57's he did for GM was they could make the car go 10 mph faster by venting air thru the heater core area. there was a huge air build up under the hood. Most late model cars have an air *** across the car even with the bottom of the radiator. This creates a low pressure area behind the radiator allowing better air flow for better cooling. :happy0030:

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that`s what i`m talking about. a "low pressure area". not negative. i mean`t, this piece i made, goes below the support. i see some camaros and novas have `em. i`m not talking about the area around the radiator. this is actually under the car.

·
Registered
36,133 Posts
Yes, that kind of thing will work. You're on the right track.

Lots of late model cars and trucks have pieces like that. Some hang from the bumper, others are further back. They'll all work. The only deal is making it low enough to help and high enough to not be a problem with clearance to the ground.

·
Premium Member
7,488 Posts
baffle

: Years ago i had somewhat flexable hard plactic material for side skirts on a 2 nd generation Camaro that had a mount flange that was at a slight angle so it would hit snow and flex not get torn off car. I'd like to find more of that.to use for air ***.:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts