Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen and Ladies,
I have an inherited '57 210. When driving the car it drifts to the left, nothing dramatic, until I put on the breaks and then there is a sharp turn to the left.
I spoke to my mechanic and he stated that it needed an alignment before he could adjust the brakes.
Does this make any sense to you and if so, what do you think the best steps to follow would be. Could it be another problem we are unaware of or something I can investigate?
Also I would like to learn how to do a brake job/adjustment (I am a novice mechanic). Do you know where step-by-step instructions would be.
Thank You All for your time.
I appreciate all your efforts!

Jeff

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I think he is looking for more money... Of course you can do brake jobs without alignment. Drifting to the left might be a dragging brake because of out of adjustment or a saturated shoe because of a leaking wheel cylinder.They will grab like crazy when brakes are stepped on.Do the brake job first then alignment. If he won't do it go find another mechanic.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Gentlemen and Ladies,
I have an inherited '57 210. When driving the car it drifts to the left, nothing dramatic, until I put on the breaks and then there is a sharp turn to the left.
I spoke to my mechanic and he stated that it needed an alignment before he could adjust the brakes.
Does this make any sense to you and if so, what do you think the best steps to follow would be. Could it be another problem we are unaware of or something I can investigate?
Also I would like to learn how to do a brake job/adjustment (I am a novice mechanic). Do you know where step-by-step instructions would be.

Jeff
Brakes are one of the easiest things on your car to fix and as Suede said, it is your problem.

·
Registered
8,875 Posts
Gentlemen and Ladies,

Jeff
I give the mechanic a break here.
If the car drift while driving that sounds like a alignment problem. If it pull when you mash the brakes it could be the brake action just increases the alignment problem.
Is the Car all original?

You need a 57 shop manual.
This is 55 brake Booklet. 57 is pretty much the same.
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/booklets/55top27/5527smindex.html

·
Registered
1955 210 SERIES, 406 DUAL QUAD ENGINE WITH MUNCIE 4 SPEED
4,457 Posts
If vehicle is pulling hard left when brake is applied, most likely the problen is in the right front brake. Could be a brake hose or fluid on brake linings.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,746 Posts
If vehicle is pulling hard left when brake is applied, most likely the problen is in the right front brake. Could be a brake hose or fluid on brake linings.
Agree TD....Left bake working and the right is not.....I'd fix that first, since it is more of a safety issue, then get an alignment.

·
Premium Member
11,707 Posts
Sticking wheel cylinder or a very badly out of round drum. Wheel cylinders are not that expensive so if the shoes have enough meat on them, replace both cylinders and cut the drums. That should solve the bad pull when you step on the brake pedal.

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
Add..

Sticking wheel cylinder or a very badly out of round drum. Wheel cylinders are not that expensive so if the shoes have enough meat on them, replace both cylinders and cut the drums. That should solve the bad pull when you step on the brake pedal.
hoses to the list. 1 hose w/ the liner messed up can/will cause the same problem.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Umm
For your slight drift i would check tyre pressure first (its free to check)
This can cause the exact symptoms you describe.
Tyre wear is also a good indicator of your alignment. I would also check excessive wear in the steering gear (IE:- Free play, tie rods, idler arm bushes etc).
I would also check your "A" arms bushes have not failed and the "A" arms are tight.
With this said do not discount the fact you may have a brake issue as well.
When brakes are applied this only exaggerates any underlying issues. As previously stated you may have a leaking cylinder, binding shoes etc.
Some Free things for you to check
Regs David

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks

WOW... great information from all of you... I guess my weekend is pretty well laid out...
This is such a GREAT RESOURCE, especially for someone like me who is not all that experienced in maintaining and restoring Tri-Fives.
Thanks Again and I am sure you will be hearing from me soon.

Jeff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts