Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are all 93 octane gasoline's equal. Reason being is that I think that one of my cars does not like the grocery store chain's gas. Just as it did last year and just today, it did the same thing. Start it and it dies. Start it back up and rev it and it misses. Let off the gas and it dies. Last year I put in a bottle of HEET, and it started up and worked great. I then started to use BP 93 octane. Not other problems until today. Again, I put in the grocery store gas and drove it for 2 or 3 days.(slow learner) No problem. THen this afternoon same problem as last year. Stalling and missing. Any idea what this could be the problem? Going to buy some more HEET tomorrow. I just cannot believe that I got water in the gas twice in the same car, from the same gas station for two years. (The car goes into storage every Sept.-May)

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Name brand fuels like chevron,shell and texaco have additives in them. The cheep fuels are cheep for a reason. Is it really worth saving 2 cents a gallon? :anim_25:bowtie-trifivebowtie-trifive:gba:

·
Registered
38,739 Posts
Sitting up is probably the problem. Alcohol has an affinity for water. Usually not a problem on a car that's driven often, storage is a killer.

I'm not real sure about name brand vs. the grocery store and Walmart. If the grocery store or Walmart is busy (and most are because they have good prices), their fuel should be as good as any you can buy.

I don't think the additive package in the name brand fuel is going to do anything for water. What it may do is have something to prevent carbon buildup (sometimes).

Also, if you watch this kind of thing, you may be surprised that the same tankers deliver fuel to the no name brand convenience store and to the name brand places. But that doesn't mean that the additive package is always the same. It is mixed close to the point of sale, not at the refinery.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
One of the engineers I work with's brother in-law drives an independent fuel delivery truck. He pulls up to the depot and tells them who he's delivering to and they add in the additive package for whom ever he's going to. He delivers to, Arco, Chevron, Shell, BP, Rotten Robbies (yes that's the name), and many others. The only thing I can think of that would cause problems would be the condition of the gas stations tanks.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I worked at the depots on south Tampa for awhile. It is all the same fuel, until the additives are used. As mentioned, all the corn likker they are useing now is hydroscopic. It attracts moisture from the surrounding air. Kinda like brake fuild.

I have a few stations aroud that advertise straight gas for Twenty cents or so. I go to just one because I have know the guy since we were knee-high to a snakes belly. The rest could be selling the crap for a higher price for all i know

Anyway you look at it, we sure ain't getting what we pay for

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.