Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my 57 4 door hardtop (96%) restored to the muffler shop for fine tuning.
Came back. It stated overheating, one tire became loose, oil pressure dropped to 7 lbs. and flashing at idle. Steers mushy.
Got home. Very disgusted. Don't want to even look at it for a couple of days.
Today I am better. I will not let a hunk of bolts, nuts and parts defeat me.
JohnMc

·
Registered
67,732 Posts
a day makes a big difference john. tomorrow will be even better. :anim_25:

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
Hang in there, John. I go through those emotions at least once a week. I figure sooner or later I'll be able to drive mine over a weekend and have as big a smile on face on Monday as I did on Friday.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Took my 57 4 door hardtop (96%) restored to the muffler shop for fine tuning.
Came back. It stated overheating, one tire became loose, oil pressure dropped to 7 lbs. and flashing at idle. Steers mushy.
Got home. Very disgusted. Don't want to even look at it for a couple of days.
Today I am better. I will not let a hunk of bolts, nuts and parts defeat me.
JohnMc
Course of action today, tighten and torque all wheel nuts, check oil pressure gauge and sender along with wire connections / pressure line to ensure its reading accurately and then road test to check cooling on a road test. Repair or replace as needed, and enjoy! :shakehands:

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lug nuts

Ok Double Nickel
I am proceeding using your checklist.
First I found that some overzealous shop stripped several wheel studs and broke one off. I also can not get the right front wheel off as the studs are spinning and you can't get to the other side. I started dismantling my disc brake and I am still stuck. Who knows a trick? I have the axle nut off and the wheel bearing out.
I can replace the splined studs easy enough with new nuts but the splines in 2 or 3 of the axle holes are rounded out. Is there a heli-coil or something to fix that without change both axles?
Johnmc

Attachments

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will need to replace the left rear axle. They have them at Ecklers used for $129.95. I will also need to replace the front right rotor. That an Autozone part. No problem.
All of this because some guy over-tightened my lug nuts. He used a long 3/4 inch breaker bar.
And he is paying for this.
John

·
Premium Member
50,811 Posts
If you have the nut off & bearing out then the wheel should come off....gently rock the wheel side to side.....:anim_25:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

1 - 9 of 9 Posts