Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were cruising this evening in the 57 on a 2 lane, double yellow line, 55mph road. An 18 wheeler is in the opposite lane coming toward us. No big deal until at the last moment a MORON in a Ford truck darts out behind the 18 wheeler to pass on the double yellow coming right at us. I swerved completely over onto the shoulder and this guy isn't budging until he sees the car behind me not getting over onto the shoulder (why? I don't know!) then decides to brake and swerve back behind the 18 wheeler after he realized he wasn't gonna make it!! I thought I was gonna have to go off of the shoulder into the ditch to avoid this clown. Thank God nothing bad happened, but Holy Crap, that made my heart jump out of my chest!!! That was WAY too close.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Glade all turned out well!! You never know who is on the road. Good thing you were alert!!
Jeffrey

·
Registered
945 Posts
Driving truck, I see people do stupid things like that all the time. Don't know why your
guest is as good as mine. Glad you made it okay

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Glad you made it Mike, that was to close and these old cars don't hold up as well as I once thoght they would against newer vehicles.

·
Registered
67,447 Posts
this would have been me :toilet:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Glad everthing worked out for you! That situation is becoming a daily occurrance around here.They are drilling natural gas wells everywere around here and the truck traffic is unbelievable,not to mention our little two lane roads are taking a beating!!!!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Glad to hear you are OK Mike. Too bad you have to watch out for others as well as yourself.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glad you made it Mike, that was to close and these old cars don't hold up as well as I once thoght they would against newer vehicles.
I was telling my wife just that after we almost got hit. These are not cars to get into wrecks in. But I came darn close to having to drive it into a ditch at 55mph which wouldn't have been pretty either.

It's really too bad that everyone's in a hurry to go nowhere these days. And they just don't care if they hurt anyone doing it.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
this would have been me :toilet:
Carl, that smiley is hilarious! And it was almost me!! That was the closest to getting plowed head-on I have ever been!

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
There's a reason that road was a double yellow, and that was it. Glad you're all OK.

I remember the first time I got behind the wheel of my Vette (6 years ago) and thought to myself - no airbags, no anti-lock brakes, rear wheel drive, - I'd better be a good boy in this thing! And then I got the 55 with a non collapsable steering column pointed right at my chest, and no seat belts!!

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
There's a reason that road was a double yellow, and that was it. Glad you're all OK.

I remember the first time I got behind the wheel of my Vette (6 years ago) and thought to myself - no airbags, no anti-lock brakes, rear wheel drive, - I'd better be a good boy in this thing! And then I got the 55 with a non collapsable steering column pointed right at my chest, and no seat belts!!
Craig, I had the same thoughts on my first test drive!

Mike, I am glad you and your ride are ok.

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
I am always extra cautious when I drive my 56 and only drive it in "Motorcycle Weather" I'm always glad I upgraded to Seat belts, disk brakes & radial tires... This:motz:would be me all of the way home... Glad you made it home safe... Later, Dave

·
Registered
772 Posts
No big deal until at the last moment a MORON in a Ford truck darts out behind the 18 wheeler to pass on the double yellow coming right at us.
Glad you are ok. It happens here too. My theory is that the safer (or is that idiot-proof?) they make cars, the more people push them to the limit.
This also has the effect of disengaging drivers from their surroundings which makes driving more unsafe. I do believe there's a hint of Catch 22 there!...:stupido2:

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
Being Alert...

last moment a MORON in a Ford truck darts out behind the 18 wheeler to pass on the double yellow coming right at us. I swerved completely over onto the shoulder .... Thank God nothing bad happened, but Holy Crap, that made my heart jump out of my chest!!! That was WAY too close.
Craig, good thing you were alert, that was a close one, glad to hear all came out well and you and your family are safe. Recently, same thing happened to us, we were driving on FM 2100 in North Houston, a two lane blacktop coming back from vacation just a few miles from home, my wife was reading a magazine and we had 3 kids in the back playing video games, they were oblivious to everything around them and didn’t notice the ¾ ton pickup truck coming toward us was veering over into our lane head-on, I didn’t say a word, I just let off the gas, didn’t hit the brakes and gently drifted off the road on the right shoulder (thankfully there was a shoulder there) and this truck went flying by completely in our lane, just barely missing the back of our van and he continued off onto the shoulder toward the ditch on our side of the road behind me. Had i slowed down, he would have hit us head on as he continued off the road on our side and apparently never saw me. This person had apparently fell asleep, dropped something on the floor or was text messaging or something like that, and as I watched him in my rearview mirror after he went by, he realized where he was and swerved back onto the road just before hitting the ditch, and luckily there was no one following close behind me or they would have been hit head on… after he went by, my wife looked up as I was pulling back onto the pavement at 55mph and asked what the heck I was doing driving down the shoulder… she never saw a thing… :rolleyes: (thank goodness…) Anyway, this just confirms we all need to be alert on the highways, there are some real idiots out there - be safe !!! Leon, BDR :tu

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
Praise to God, you and all others are safe. I have never liked driving in the Houston area. The Kids live in Katy and getting there from here can be such a challenge once you hit Conroe.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Glad everything turned out well for you, Mike. You just can't be too alert these days.

We had a horrible similar situation happen about a mile from our house last year. A mini-van with 4 people in it pulled out to pass a school bus in thick fog right into the path of an 18 wheeler. After the collison, the mini-van hit the school bus, forcing it to roll over into a ditch. Everbody in the mini-van and 3 kids on the bus died at the scene. 17 additional kids on the bus and the truck driver were injured but thankfully lived. I still have a tough time driving past that location.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Glad you are ok. It happens here too. My theory is that the safer (or is that idiot-proof?) they make cars, the more people push them to the limit.
This also has the effect of disengaging drivers from their surroundings which makes driving more unsafe. I do believe there's a hint of Catch 22 there!...:stupido2:
Ditto on that, they just get in their own little world and think everything will be OK no matter what they do:confused0006:

Glad your safe:D

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Glad that everything went okej Mike. :)

I agree with you and Geoff about todays car they give a false feeling that nothing can happen to you, and also a lot of people are busy with so much else when they drive like, cellphone, drinking coffe, reading papers, and always in a hurry. :eek:

·
Registered
577 Posts
alot of crazy drivers today doin multi-tasking & just glad you & your car got thru it without a crash.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts