Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i first start the car, i dont have turning signals, the lights are dim, and the air conditioning fan barely blows at all. If i rev it a whole bunch, like as if i were on the highway, the car comes to life and everything works. Ive replaced the laternator several times and had it tested, along with the battery and they are both good. Do I need a higher amperage alternator? I have a high performance electric pusher fan, vintage air conditioning, and a radio with 4 speakers around the vehicle. otherwise its pretty stock with the ignition points, starter, and the like. My alternator is rated at 63 amps. Should I get a bigger one? Ive fiddled and checked over the wiring numerous times and everything else seems to check out.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
When i first start the car, i dont have turning signals, the lights are dim, and the air conditioning fan barely blows at all. If i rev it a whole bunch, like as if i were on the highway, the car comes to life and everything works.
Does your generator light on the dash work properly?

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,537 Posts
you need to get the idiot light working and wired properly to the alternator(#1). also make sure the sense (#2)wire is connected somewhere inside the car not directly to the Batt post as some say to do.

·
27,084 Posts
you need to get the idiot light working and wired properly to the alternator(#1). also make sure the sense (#2)wire is connected somewhere inside the car not directly to the Batt post as some say to do.
Yes, it's not wired right if the idiot light doesn't work.

·
Premium Member
14,537 Posts
did I get the terminal number correct??

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay. Lets do this. Where does the 2 wires coming off of the idiot light go to? Is it one to the top tan ignition switch and the other to the tan wire from the alternator?

·
27,084 Posts
did I get the terminal number correct??
Yes, the brown wire from the idiot light bulb connects to #1 terminal of the "SI" alternator. The voltage going through the idiot light bulb excites the alternator to start it charging. #2 terminal connects to the battery or starter's battery terminal.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nevermind, i repaired it. So does it matter which wire goes to the alternatpr and which goes to the ignition switch

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,857 Posts
Good going Lance :):congrats: As I remember, this alternator problem started in Bowling Green.

Glad you finally got it fixed.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, yes it did! Which is funny, because the idiot light has never been hooked up before, and yet fixing it fixed the problem!

·
Premium Member
14,537 Posts
that is because the regulator is now properly being excited.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts