Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
This old computer needs more data input ; please update your data IN . Are you converting a v-belt driven alternator to a toothed-belt (Gilmer) driven one ; if so , are the shaft sizes the same , (the pulley bore i.d.?) It sounds like the Gilmer pulley may be just a whisker tighter on the shaft and may need accurate i.d. measuring or re-sizing ; good idea not to beat on it . Also , why use a Gilmer-belt ? Are you also using a Rootes-type supercharger ? Please tell us the WHOLE story . Be safe...Bob.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so changing over because everytime the motor hits 6600 rpm the belt departs and it's a pain in the ass
Measured the ID with a tape but need to get calipers on it tomorrow.
I get the pully on about 1/2 inch then it stops so I was going to hues a slight resize but prefer to do it on the shaft of the alternator in the event of buying a new alternator my pulley is still ok

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
I guess my question is about the belt ; is it a multi-ribbed flat belt or is it a Gilmer belt ? The teeth on a Gilmer are across the belt face , and they'll flip off too . The newer flat , multi-ribbed belt is as good as it gets ; after years of racing using the old v-belts , we were quick to adopt the new flat multi-ribbed belts , as it solved the belts flying off (without using a Gilmer) . Just my opinion . Be safe...Bob.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.