Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys & gals, it's been a while that I posted.
Here's my question, can I use alumaloy to patch small holes in my floor board?
A couple of months ago I bought a needle scaler & blown holes in alot of areas.
So I ended up fabbing up new metal & replaced it & back to scrapping & chisle & hammer the undercoating by hand (yes its kicking my butt the hard way) making progress with very little damage.
So far 4 little holes from the corner of chisel & thinking of alumaloy for quick easy repair.
Will this be a problem? like a metal reaction or not?
Thanks
P.S I'll post pics on it soon with the metal brake I also made.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I don't about the metal, but get you a cheap heat gun from Northern tool or similar and with a putty knife the undercoating comes off pretty easy....just a little messy. I'm not sure there is a not-messy way to do it though, unless you hire someone else to do it.:)

·
Registered
642 Posts
Alumaloy looks like it for aluminum repair.
If you can get the car to 1-94 -Metropolitan parkway/16 Mile area I could mig weld the holes for you.

·
Registered
483 Posts
If you can get the car to 1-94 -Metropolitan parkway/16 Mile area I could mig weld the holes for you.
welding is the best way to go - alumaloy is a filler - it bonds to the surface like a glue - works great on aluminum and pot metals because they are so pourous. welding bonds at a subsurface level by melting the filler and base metals together.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much :) for the offer I did'nt know you where so close, but the body is off the frame on a wooden dollie. I have a mig welder & the area I put holes in is a circular tight-fold, might be hard to get a grinder in there.
Any tips would be much apperciated :smile:
The dollie I made is starting to crack up a little after the pressured treated wood dried out. I need to address that problem next year.
Thanks

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
welding is the best way to go - alumaloy is a filler - it bonds to the surface like a glue - works great on aluminum and pot metals because they are so pourous. welding bonds at a subsurface level by melting the filler and base metals together.
Thanks for the info, oh I like the sayin,If duct tape ain't the right answer you are asking the question wrong LOL
But the last owner of this car used duct tape & bondo to repair holes :eek:
& I'm still goin over those repairs :banghead:

·
Registered
642 Posts
Would a carbide burr on a die grinder reach the area with the holes? A mini-sand blaster?

I have both if you have an air compressor.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Speaking of carbide burrs - quick tip. Wax the burr heavy and notice how much more control you have! Any heavy wax works well - just spin the burr and feed it a crayon! Your hop and chatter is virtually eliminated.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Speaking of carbide burrs - quick tip. Wax the burr heavy and notice how much more control you have! Any heavy wax works well - just spin the burr and feed it a crayon! Your hop and chatter is virtually eliminated.
nice tip :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts