Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time working with alumimun heads,I am installing a new intake on a crate motor with aluminum heads should I use never seize or engine assembly lube on the bolts going into the heads??? :gba: :shakehands:

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
15,014 Posts
Yes, but use it sparingly a little goes a long way

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Anti-seize sparingly and as suggested use studs on the exhaust bolts. On the Vickys aluminum heads I'd first used bolts for the headers yet could never keep them tight, the heat kept loosening the bolts as the head expanded slightly when hot.
Also use anti-seize on the intake manifold bolts as well.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I'm currently building out a 383 sb using AFR heads. They also suggest not using a Torque wrench in tightening up the manifold bolts (or any bolts for that matter) as the Torque wrench could be off some and you risk stripping out the aluminum heads. Mine were 25 ft/lbs, so I used the wrench up to 15 ft/lbs to be safe, then did the final 'torque' by hand.

Also, if the intake bolts go into your valley, you need to use some ARP thread sealant, or something similar, to prevent oil leaks. On stock manifolds, I think it's usually the 2 inner bolts on each side. For the AFR heads, all but the outer 2 on each side were like this, so I used the anti-seize on those only and the ARP thread sealant on the inner ones.

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
15,014 Posts
On the header bolts if you go with bolts make sure you get the longer ones . that way you have plenty of thread engagement and reduce the cance of pulling the threads out of the head. I always use the 1" long ones on aluminum heads.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.