Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time for me to purchase a radiator for my 55. I am running a 400HP small block with 700R4 and 3.55 9" rear axle. I started looking in catalogs, and ebay for a aluminum radiator. I am totally confused? I don't profess to understand 2 row, 3 row, 4 row, cross flow, price ranges from $200.00 to $1500.00, all professing basically the same stuff. Will cool up to 500 HP+. Something ain't right. I have a budget of around $500.00 including the electric fan. I need some
help in spending it wisely. Your experience would be greatly appreciated. Gary

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hey FoxSpeed,

If all went well I would of had a road test report for you on my "cheap" eBay aluminum rad but I haven't actually got it on the road yet. I paid around $200 without a fan

I was in the same boat as you, all of them had the same specs but some were 5 times the price.....

I ended up getting something with a good price that still had some warranty and gaurantees on it, but that was a risk I took keeping in mind I might have to buy a more expensive one if this one springs a leak or is overheating on me.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I have the 4 row "desert cooler", i think its called, and it works great. Around 460.00 new. That should cool 400 horses with air no problem. As long as you have enough fan at low speeds.

Danchuck, ecklers, most of the supplers carry them.

The aluminum is more efficient. But the old copper brass will do the job as well. I like the old school look too.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I urge anyone looking for a radiator to give Howe Racing in Beaverton , MI a call. Ed Howe and the guys have been custom building racing radiators for years and his son Chas is one of the sharpest guys I've ever met. They have up/down flow direct replacement stuff and crossflow stuff in the catalog that bolts right in. If you ask Chas he can shoot you pics of one of Ed's 57's with an LS motor in it with a crossflow on the front side of the rad support with AC and it's nothing short of perfect fit. Check www.howeracing.com

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks , I think I will go with a aluminum radiator that costs 400.00 from a ebay source. I spoke to them and shipping is $25.00. They guaranteed I would be happy. No fan, they recommended a cooling components fan and shroud. I will supply the outfit to the forum if I am indeed satisfied. Thanks for all your input. It was very helpful. Gary

·
Registered
36,112 Posts
The basic 55-57 PRC radiator is listed on the streetrodstuff.com website at $400.

You can't go wrong here. Maybe you think you can do better for less. Personal opinion is if it's good for less it will be more work to install. And likely to not be as good. If you're willing to spend $400 for a quality radiator get this one. You won't be sorry. It is a beautiful well built custom made in the USA radiator that cools just about anything you can put in a 55-57.

You can buy from srs or direct from PRC, or there are other dealers.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I've used two Champion radiators, one in a 69 camaro small block and one in 67 chevelle BB.
The cost was around 269.00 with two electrics fans and that included shipping.
Both were two row and bolted direct into the factory support.

·
Registered
21 Posts
try cfr performance in ontario ca. 300.00 aluminum rad. v8 or 6 position, bolts right in, looks good. have one in my 55, no problems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts