Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know I'm a cheapskate but 39.59 to swap two wheels and tires along with new valve stems and spin balance. Is that kinda pricey or is it just me?

·
Premium Member
50,811 Posts
I'm afraid thats pretty close to the going rate here in Chattanooga.....:tu
Cowboy :flag6:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
If I am reading it correctly, he took 2 tires off and replaced them with 2 other tires, added valve stems and balanced both. Sounds reasonable.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
I'm cheap too, that's why I'm thinking of getting a bead breaker and a bubble balancer. $20 to fix a nail hole here. And I took the tire off the car!

·
Registered
52 Posts
You got a deal! Expecially if they were balanced. And 20 bucks is pricing for just a nail. But if done properly that tire will never leak again in its like. 20 bucks vs. $200 tire

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
I don't think I'd call it a deal, just typical pricing.

At this point in my life, no way I dismount and mount tires and balance them myself for that kind of money. Even with the best of equipment.

·
Registered
8,875 Posts
Ok, I know I'm a cheapskate but 39.59 to swap two wheels and tires along with new valve stems and spin balance. Is that kinda pricey or is it just me?
We talking dismount and remount 2 tires 2 valve stems and spin balance 2 tires.

That cost me $30 about a month ago. But it's Tire shop I have used for most of my tire purchases for last 20 years.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I had a junk tire taken off a vintage Ansen slot, and a new tire taken off a vintage Fenton slot and put on the Ansen. $12.99 balanced and new stem at Pep Boys, but I had bought the new tire there a while back. I always passed them by because of the name, but I had called around and they had the best price on Radial T/As, so I gave them a try and ended up going back.
It actually only cost me $10, because they keep sending coupons, brought in a pile and they found one good for service.

Querty57, is this what you had done, but times two?
If it was owner operated you're supporting local business at least...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think the problem we all have is related to our age & our ability to remember prices from our youth. Back in the '60's my Dad & I had a Skelly station & three bay garage. We took the tire off the car,repaired it,& put it back on for $1.50. A complete brake job,parts & labor ran between $25 and $30. I am always a victim of sticker shock with today's prices. We just need to remember that back in 1960, most people made about $1.50 per hour. My wife says it's all relevant. Also in 1960, the tri-five Chevrolets didn't hold any special value. They were just everyday drivers. By 1965 or "66, I bought & sold many of them for less than $500 each. Can't do that now.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Querty57, is this what you had done, but times two?
If it was owner operated you're supporting local business at least...
Yes that's it and I guess you're all right. I thought it would be 25 bucks and that would be aplenty. I guess I don't feel quite as bad now. At least not till Friday when I take the other two and get nailed for another 39 bucks and change :)

Sheesh 80 bucks to mount and balance a set of tires!! Aw there I go again.....

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Yes that's it and I guess you're all right. I thought it would be 25 bucks and that would be aplenty. I guess I don't feel quite as bad now. At least not till Friday when I take the other two and get nailed for another 39 bucks and change :)

I don't blame you at all for feeling robbed. I had a tire on one of my trailers go flat and took it to a local tire shop and they want $20.00 to fix it and balance it. I signed up for a fleet customer and got it done for $10.00, then I felt better about the charges. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
I'm cheap too, that's why I'm thinking of getting a bead breaker and a bubble balancer. $20 to fix a nail hole here. And I took the tire off the car!
A bubble balance only gives you a circumferential static balance; this will correct up and down vibration. To get a full true lateral balance too you need a spin balancer; this corrects side to side wobble.

·
RIP: 2/16/2019
4,144 Posts
When I need tire work done I go to the used tire shops in the not so good areas of town to get the best deal.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I'm a cheapskate, too.

When I needed one tire on a car a few months ago, I stopped at a few places to get estimates -- amazing how different they were considering they were all for the exact same tire. I got a quote from one place that was listed as a certified installer on TireRack.com, so after they told me how much it would cost to buy the tire from them and then have them install it, I asked how much it would cost to install it if I had it drop-shipped from TireRack -- holy cow! The mounting, balancing, etc. cost $13 if I bought the tire from TireRack but it was over $30 if I bought the tire from them! In addition, the tire itself, including shipping, was $50 less than their price for the tire. So, I saved about $70 having it done there but buying the tire myself on TireRack.com.

The place I'm talking about is a "chain" tire store and I'm sure they have the $13 installation fee through TireRack to attact customers so they can give you estimates on other repair work, which they did for me -- they told me I needed brakes, pads and rotors, for around $600 -- I thanked them for the information and got a written estimate. I still haven't done the brakes -- they're fine! I even had my trusted mechanic who does all my work for me check the brakes with me, we both just shook our heads in disgust - the brakes were just fine.

Anyways, I see nothing wrong with shopping around to save a few bucks!

·
Registered
11,214 Posts
Perspective

39 Bucks = 1/2 a tank of gas.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I bought four tires at TireRack, went to thier preferred installer and had them mounted and balanced for $52.00.

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
That is too high for me, that is why Dad and I bought a Coats 40-40 and I am thinking about an upgrade to rimless. Local Caddy store charged me $40 to balance Moms four Caddy tires and fill with them with Nitrogen. I had my Impala tires balanced for $5 each last time, sometimes visit a buddys shop a quitting time, that requires I bring Bud.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
That's about what we pay here in Pittsburgh too :(

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Sheesh 80 bucks to mount and balance a set of tires!! Aw there I go again.....[/QUOTE]

Only the exotic rubber-band tires get sent out here . We still change all our other tires by hand on a manual tire machine , and the old bomb-sight balancer still works fine for daily drivers . Depends directly on how fast you want to drive , and the quality of rubber you're installing . Be safe...Bob.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts