Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been in love with '57's since a family 4dr 210 made its way to being my first car back in the '80s. Now, I understand that tri-5s are still fairly popular, and many have gone to the great salvage yard beyond, but am I being unreasonable in thinking that some people seem to have the idea that they're worth their weight in platinum when they're trying to sell one?

$4k for this? http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/3934557954.html

$4100 for this? http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/3939291417.html

I see listings like this and am convinced that one of us has lost their mind, I'm just not sure whether or not it's me. (I do understand that something is worth whatever someone will pay for it, but still...)

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
Not what I would spend my money on. I don't think it's you that lost their mind.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not what I would spend my money on. I don't think it's you that lost their mind.

I sometimes wonder if I've turned into my Uncle, who constantly complained that you couldn't get a sheet of plywood for a buck anymore. Seeing tri-5s advertised like that is frustrating because I've seen guys who'd rather sell them to a crusher company rather than sell to an enthusiast for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Way too high!
And no title...... $600 would be a good deal.

the four door $1200 max.

Don

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
...and this is why after looking for a couple of years, we still do not have a '56 of our own.

Prices up here are way more than I'm willing to pay for what basically boils down to a title, rust, and oh yeah...a couple old parts :(

But don't give up, (I know I haven't given up) as I have seen some guys on here find some pretty decent cars, for fair money, and some pretty decent/restorable "parts cars" for less than $900. :)

One day, I'll find what I am looking for, and I'm sure so will you :anim_25:

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I sometimes wonder if I've turned into my Uncle, who constantly complained that you couldn't get a sheet of plywood for a buck anymore. Seeing tri-5s advertised like that is frustrating because I've seen guys who'd rather sell them to a crusher company rather than sell to an enthusiast for a reasonable price.
Reminds me of a friend who really really needs some copper welding leads but is constantly outbid by the scrap dealers. It makes him mad time and again and all I can do is laugh and tell him he must not need them that bad, which makes him madder.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Come on now look at all those extra parts you get ! Yes the prices are high! Someone says O you have a classic you can get big bucks for that! There are deals to be had out there. I just picked up a very nice trunk lid 4 stock 57 rims and a 2505s carb in nice shape for 250.00 dollars. But I did drive 315 miles ( round trip) Deals are still out there!

·
Registered
67,715 Posts
they can ask whatever they want. will they get it? :confused0024: ................. mmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
What price range are you looking at? If you look and keep looking on the net you will find one that is to your liking for the price you intend to spend. I looked over 9 months for one that suited my wallet and did not need extensive repairs. However, being as I am, I made more work for myself by gutting the inside and starting over. I enjoy doing that type of work. Anyhow, I'm almost done with the inside.
Good luck !!

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
My advice is if you see somthing you are intrested in just make him your best offer and if he doesn't take it move on to the next one. Sooner or later you will find one you like and is in your budget and the the guy will need the money and you will have a good deal. Over the years I have made a few guys mad at me because they thought they had a piece of gold only to have them call me up later and say they realy need the money and will take my offer. If they don't thats ok. Just remember they are the one trying to sell somthing but your the guy that has the money. If they don't want to meet you in the middle move on to the next one and put it out of your mind.
Do like I do make it fun.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
In my opinion those cars are not worth fixing, especially the four door but someone will buy them. $4000 is a starting point maybe he ends up selling them at $2500 or so. The 2 door would be the better deal. I would buy a good condition car, yes you have to spend quite a bit more up front but in the long run you'll save thousands.

·
Registered
844 Posts
When I bought my 56 4door belair, I had not been looking at all so I did not know the prices. It was posted on Craigslist for $3500. I looked on Ebay and saw what you saw. When I saw it in person, It was all there. The only part missing was the harmonic balancer. I took it home for $3400 and I actually got it running. The guy had two warehouses full of old cars that he rents for movies. Most are unrestored and needing major repairs. I figured he knew his cars and I got a very fair price. I showed the ebay ads to my wife as she thought the price for "an old piece of junk" was too high. Since I was planning to restore to original, having all the parts there was priceless even if I ended up replacing them. if you really want one, be ready to spend 4K-5K. By the time you finish restoring, 25K and up, the purchase cost will just a thing of the past.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What price range are you looking at? If you look and keep looking on the net you will find one that is to your liking for the price you intend to spend. I looked over 9 months for one that suited my wallet and did not need extensive repairs. However, being as I am, I made more work for myself by gutting the inside and starting over. I enjoy doing that type of work. Anyhow, I'm almost done with the inside.
Good luck !!

Don't get me wrong, I've already got the project from hell, so I'm not necessarily looking for another. (Although, given my druthers, I'd have 5-10 acres fill with pre-70 cars waiting to be revived) But over the years I've seen eminently restorable cars go to the crusher, or rot in a field. I probably am overreacting, as nowdays you don't have to have an original car to own a classic. Frame, body, and accompanying parts are available aftermarket so you can build one without having even so much as an original trim screw. I guess it's just difficult to see these icons go to waste, rather like someone who walks into the City pound and feels the urge to adopt all of the animals there. (And probably would, if I could afford to do so.)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts