Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay y'all, I just want your opinions. I have bought tons of stuff for my '55 from various vendors, but mostly from Eckler's. I have for the most part been pleased with the service, and the quality of their stuff. But I recently ordered some floor insulation that claims to be "reproduction of original".

http://www.classicchevy.com/chevy-floor-insulation-kit-1955-1956.html

What they sent me was just some cheap, ordinary roofing paper. That's right - tar paper! I don't care if it's precut or not - it ain't what I ordered!

When I called to confront them with it the girl on the phone tried to tell me that maybe they just don't make it the same way they did in 1957. I said it's not even close. I pulled the original floor insulation out of my car and it was much thicker than tar paper. She said she would have to have someone call me back.

So am I out of line to complain? Should I accept this as "reproduction of original" for a show car that I'm building? I know it will be hidden, but the insulation factor isn't the same. I see they have other stuff out there, but it's the advertising that gripes me (along with paying for shipping twice).

Thanks for letting me vent. :motz:

Joe

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hey Joe,
I am not sure what they are used for, jute? I am just happy they didn't come from us! I can send you some jute if that is what you need. Let me know. Ecklers is usually quite accurate and very good. Give me a call or send me a message and let me see if I can help.
Gina
800-875-8390

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
No, Joe you are not out of line in my book... Someone wiser than me once said, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease" :anim_25:with your quest... Later, Dave

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Joe,
I am not sure what they are used for, jute? I am just happy they didn't come from us! I can send you some jute if that is what you need. Let me know. Ecklers is usually quite accurate and very good. Give me a call or send me a message and let me see if I can help.
Gina
800-875-8390
No, I'm not talking about the jute padding. That already comes attached to the the carpet that I'm getting from you, along with a trunk mat and armrest pads.

68,758 Posts
nothing wrong with letting them know how you felt about this product. its good to get it off your chest joe.

·
Premium Member
50,809 Posts
I got the same stuff a couple of years back. I just trashed it (garbage) and got the silver backed good stuff.

·
Registered
37,982 Posts
DON'T get it off your chest and vent, DON'T throw it away, send it back and get your money back. If they give you a hard time, file on it with your credit card company.

If you don't do this, they will just keep sending junk to you and everyone else. They may still do that, but if you don't take action, they certainly will continue. You don't have to put up with that.

Just another reason to never do business with those jerks, unless you know EXACTLY what you're buying, and you know it's discounted from normal pricing. Even then someone may be selling it cheaper.

There are very few items that Eckler's sells that you can't get elsewhere cheaper.

Buy from straight up vendors like H&H, Oldedays, many others.

·
Premium Member
3,996 Posts
let im know exactly whats on your mind brother we are still the buyer and if your not happy give em a piece of your mind

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
I feel sorry you had the problem. I have had similar things happen to me from other places. The problem with sending it back when it's a kind of cheap items to begin with, is that shipping is so high now, buy the time you pay for getting it to you and getting it back for a refund, you have almost paid the cost of the item. Most places will take items back, but they don't refund the shipping!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've already planned to just send the stuff back and get something better. I just thought I was getting original-like material. I've sent stuff back to them before and gotten a full refund (because I accidentally double-ordered) with no problem. But that was my fault. I expect them to pick up the shipping tab on this one.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Definitely send it back. If they are claiming "Reproduction Of Original", and they send you lightweight builders felt, back it goes.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Hey BRUCE!! Check your PM'S!!

·
Registered
1957 Belair wagon, 51 HenryJ
1,878 Posts
I bought R&P hoses from CCI and one leaked around the swedge(SP) so I called them and they sent me a replacement hose no problem, and the did not want the old hose back. If you don't call you will never know, good day.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I called them back yesterday and they said they already credited the money back to my account. They also said I didn't have to bother sending the tar paper back. I'll re-post if they don't, but it looks like the issue has been resolved to my satisfaction. If any good came of it, I guess I can just use the tar paper for a pattern to cut the real insulation whenever I buy it.

Thanks y'all for listening and for your input.

Joe

·
Registered
47 Posts
Glad to learn it worked out for you. You resolved this the correct way. I do stuff the wrong way, and just throw the unsatisfactory thing away, tell any prospective or current cusomer my experience, and place the company on my forever-growing longer list of businesses that I will never patronize again. Trouble with my method is that I'm running out of businesses to do business with!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts