Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks,

My wife bought me a steering wheel for my birthday last February, an American Retro RP-20003 15" 58-60 Chevy style. I hadn't pulled the trigger because I had heard so many bad thing about the smaller repro Impala wheels, but she surprised me so here we are. I just unboxed it today to test fit it on my new Ididit column.

Honestly, at first glance it seems to be of decent quality. The black finish on the rim is very nice. The chrome on the horn ring is less than perfect, but it has a nice shine. All of the threads in the hub needed chasing to ensure full thread engagement, but that doesn't surprise me.

What problems have folks encountered with these steering wheels?

One question...the horn/cancelling cam on my old wheel sits at approximately 10:30 o'clock at the straight ahead position, but my new AR wheel has the horn connector hole at 12 o'clock, will that do or is there a cancelling cam available that will make up for this?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
49,309 Posts
Ken...If you don't get a good answer here, Call East Coast Chevy, Inc....They sell that wheel and are quite knowledgeable about their products....Here's their listing:

·
Registered
35,512 Posts
If the horn contact stalk is what actuates the cancelling of the turn signals, you may have to drill a hole in a new place.

Before you install the column is the time to check it out. A mock assembly of the new wheel and column and a couple of rotations of the steering wheel with the turn signal on each way will tell you whether it's tripping at the same point turning right or turning left.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Not trying to get picky but that is actually a repro of a 59-60 Impala wheel. The 58 had a horn ring that went all the way around the wheel. I love these wheels and have one for my 57 that will have to be restored. Prettiest steering wheel ever.

·
Premium Member
12,454 Posts
A guy in my town has one of those in a trifive truck. I love those, and every time I go to a local show I always look for his truck just to stare at that wheel. A very tasteful addition.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Ken - even if you have to fiddle with it to get it just right I'm sure you'll be happy with it. Did you remember to say 'thank you'...?
JR

·
Registered
12,124 Posts
Your wife obviously loves you dearly Ken because I know very few men that can honestly say that their wives buy them car parts at any time in their lives. She’s a keeper mate.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I installed the 15" '56 Chevy wheel in my 56 Delray. Very good quality. I plan to install another one in my 57 wgn, after I replace the manual steering. I think without power steering parallel parking may be very difficult. I used the Grant horn kit on the 56 Delray and had no issues.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ken - even if you have to fiddle with it to get it just right I'm sure you'll be happy with it. Did you remember to say 'thank you'...?
JR
Oh yeah. Every single day! :sign0020:

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your wife obviously loves you dearly Ken because I know very few men that can honestly say that their wives buy them car parts at any time in their lives. She’s a keeper mate.
You got that right. I'm the luckiest man on Earth.

·
Registered
65,783 Posts
don't know anything about that wheel, but your wife is a keeper. your a lucky man Ken (does she have a sister?). :tu

1 - 11 of 11 Posts