1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
67,738 Posts
our billionaires won, yahoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :04:

·
Registered
37,250 Posts
Watched some coverage a couple of weeks ago, it didn't interest me like years past. Don't know if it was the coverage or the competition.

US was also badly behind up until last weekend.

·
Premium Member
15,575 Posts
Due to a penalty assessed against Oracle they were two races in the hole at the beginning of the races. A week ago the record stood at New Zealand 8 America 1 with 9 wins taking the whole thing. America went on to win the next 8 races in a row for an unprecedented come from behind win. The Kiwi's fought all the way to the end and should be proud of their effort.

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,574 Posts
The entire thing was tainted in my opinion after America got caught cheating. Those of us that live here know how much Oracle bullied the polictians and the City of San Francisco. I just find it hard to be proud of this "win".

·
Registered
229 Posts
Funny ,we hardly saw any of the races on TV over here and being a kiwi I was getting bits on Facebook about how well NZ was going. Now that it is finished all we hear about is the Aussie crew winning the race!

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Since the Cup contenders went to all the high tech hydro foils etc. it has not been the same. They are impressive in the speeds they make on the water but to me it is not "yacht racing" anymore.
The Americas Cup was always a rich mans sport but now it is getting ridiculous...give me the old, bygone days when it was a fast single hull that looked like a sailboat and not a prop from a sci-fi movie, a knowledgeable crew that trimmed sails by hand not a computer, that raced in all weather and sea conditions short of a gale and didn't quit because the winds went over 20 knots...those days were yacht racing at its best...when the best skipper, crew and boat would win. Those were the days when the Aussies, Kiwis, English and Americans were yachtsmen and sportsmen and all fought for a chance at the Cup...when their countries took pride in their representative teams.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
It's my understanding that there's only 1 American on the team, and that most are from NZ. Is this true?

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
It's my understanding that there's only 1 American on the team, and that most are from NZ. Is this true?
No to all Kiwi crew, Yes, to one American crew.
Team Oracle had an international crew... the boat was crewed by four Australians, two Kiwis, and one sailor each from the United States, Britain, Italy, Holland and Antigua.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
The entire thing was tainted in my opinion after America got caught cheating. Those of us that live here know how much Oracle bullied the polictians and the City of San Francisco. I just find it hard to be proud of this "win".
Shades of Lance Armstrong ? Seems like the best cheaters win at every sport , whether it's cycling , football , baseball or yacht racing . I think the world would rather see REAL yachts race with sailors manning the sheets instead of who has the best software . Oracle be damned . Be safe...Bob

·
Premium Member
15,575 Posts
To put the "cheating" in perspective, it was 4 individuals out of a group of 135 that added shot to a part of the 42 foot boat. They were penalized two race wins for their effort.
If the same philosophy was applied to drag racing that has been stated here, we would still be running flatheads in model a frames.I was amazed at the amount of innovation that was applied to the design and construction of these boats. Think of these as the top fuel dragsters of the sailing world only way more expensive.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
If the same philosophy was applied to drag racing that has been stated here, we would still be running flatheads in model a frames.I was amazed at the amount of innovation that was applied to the design and construction of these boats. Think of these as the top fuel dragsters of the sailing world only way more expensive.
Yes they are fast but the 'spirit' of the Americas Cup races is gone...IMO. Sailing is not drag racing, it is a sport of getting the best performance out of the boat, the crew and most of all old fashioned sportsmanship and not all about technology...

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I heard on the radio coming into work this morning that the US Cup boat weighed in at a cool 500 million dollars to produce. No doubt loaded with innovation and technology, .... but if you have ever been around sailing, even the smaller boats,.... and if you ever get a chance....you ought to go for a ride in a 14 foot racing sailboat. As thrilling as running down the track IMHO.

Gil

1 - 20 of 22 Posts