Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 684 Posts

·
Trifive Certified Restoration Shop
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
56 Bel Air "Angie Mae's" rejuvenation

With the help of a number of members here at Trifive.com Our new Friends Bridgette and Scott have found their dream car. A 1956 Chevy Belair 4dr Sedan. They have named her "Angie Mae" thus the title of this thread.

Bridgette and Scott have agreed to allow the posting of the rejuvenation process for all the Trifive.com Community to view and enjoy.

Well after a few weeks of ownership and numerous emails back and forth Angie Mae has arrived at my place in a cover wagon for a rejuvenation process over the next couple of months.

She was top shelf all the way here.

The driver was a younger fella and very personable. He took very good care with Angie Mae.

Her first steps as it were here in Wisconsin.

From here I drove her up in the drive next to Storms 57 so she wouldn't feel lonely. Then began a photo walk around to document her condition and asses procedures and plans to bring here to a pristine condition. I'll work on that over the next couple days as I have down time in between painting another simple project that will be done tomorrow.

Without further ado, here are the walk around photos (warning there are 55 of them as of today).

Much more to come.

·
Registered
67,715 Posts
thanks for sharing, will be looking forward to this. :tu

·
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
more before photos

Seats will need work. A color change is planned

Dash is in good condition, but paint is faded and bezels are dull.

Bumping elbows so to speak with Storm's 57.

there are a couple of age spots, but nothing terrible

Many of the normal rust areas (such as the dog leg) appear very clean.

The main body is clean, paint is California faded, and trim has a few dimples. but then again who doesn't after 53 years.

Some of the luster has diminished on the pot metal pieces, but them can be rejuvenated by a good chromer.

The heart is beating at a normal rhythm, but needs a good cleaning.

Radiator has a few fins mashed. I believe we have the ability to straighten them.

Underside of the hood will definitely need some attention.

The hub caps have a dimple or two in each of them and can be repaired as well as new decals.

The front trim is in fair condition at first glance. We'll see how it polished up and go from there.

The trunk area apparently had or has a leak from the rear window somewhere.

More minor age spots on the trunk lid.

Found this under the rubber mat. So far just seems like surface rust form the aforementioned leak.

Next set of photos will of the underside while I had it on the hoist at my buddy's mechanic shop up the street.

·
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Took Angie Mae down the road a short ways (maybe 1/4 mile) to my buddy's shop to get a good look underneath. Here is what I found.

Lots and lots of undercoating.

New brake line up front

Body mounts and supports all look good.

trans has some moisture coming form somewhere.

inner wheel houses look clean

This could be a concern. The seal for the starter solenoid doesn't stay in place.

That's about it for now. Gotta get the simple job in the shop painted today.:tu

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I don't know how you do it Fuzzy....every time I read one of your posts, you're helping someone else out or working on another car. You're an incredible humanitarian..:shakehands: (Wish my car had looked like that when I started!)

Eugene

·
Registered
11,214 Posts
A great beginning to a new goal.

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Radiator has a few fins mashed. I believe we have the ability to straighten them.
Since it will be driven in traffic in calif, with air conditioning I highly recommend getting a new 4 core radiator.

Just my 2 cents

Otis :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
We chose her name Angie Mae after my two Grandmothers. Angie and the other Alla Mae. I love her name too.

Fuzzy, my husband wants to know if you do Corvettes. He has a 76 white one. We will send you pictures and see if you want to take that on. It just needs paint and interior. It is in good condition, I think my husband doesn't want my car to look better than his ;-)

Warmly,

Bridget

·
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We chose her name Angie Mae after my two Grandmothers. Angie and the other Alla Mae. I love her name too.

Fuzzy, my husband wants to know if you do Corvettes. He has a 76 white one. We will send you pictures and see if you want to take that on. It just needs paint and interior. It is in good condition, I think my husband doesn't want my car to look better than his ;-)

Warmly,

Bridget
Bridget your husband is in luck. I am one of the few guys in this area that can and does fiberglass and SMC work on Corvettes. Most shops hate it due to their guys getting all itchy from working with it. My dad is a big Corvette fan, so guess who works on his cars?

Last night I had a chance to take Angie Mae out for a test drive to check out any drivablity issues and allow for them to be taken care of while it's being restored.
Most notably was that she would get hot sitting in traffic (waiting at the R/R crossing).
The right turn signal didn't self cancel
The brakes are good, but tuff to push. (Maybe an upgrade to power brakes would be a good idea for her).
Lack of power steering isn't a problem as she drives well and turn easily.

I will sit down later tonight or tomorrow and get a full list together for Bridget and Scott, so they will have a complete picture of what should be done and what it will take to perform the restoration.

To answer anyone else's question of how far this rejuvenation is going.

Complete frame off for the body and down to bare metal.
Trim will be dedented and polished
All new side glass and rear window (along with gaskets)
New interior (color to match the paint Bridget decides on)
Frame will get redone
Motor and Trans have been requested to stay as is (they are running beautifully together and have no issues) The will both get cleaned up and giving an exam (inspection, compression test, tolerances, timing, dwell, etc).
Rear end will be inspected for wear and leaks (repaired if needed)
Brakes may be upgraded to power disc brakes.
She'll need new tires as these are weather checked pretty good.
The entire electrical system is working fine, but will be inspected and may be upgraded if deemed necessary.
A sound system will be added since this is a radio delete car. It will be installed inconspicuously (aka hidden) and have an input for ipod or mp3 player.
A requested addition is for Cup holders and pockets in the doors for notepads.

There may be a few other items that come up as we progress through the rejuvenation which we will deal with at that time.

Uh, Oh.

Just got a call from my friends shop. His painter didn't show up today and needs a couple cars painted this morning. Gotta go.

·
Banned
8,304 Posts
Fuzzy once again WHEN is your clones going to be ready.Just start with 51(one for each state and PR.)Then let them breed and become similar in nature as the ENERGIZER BUNNY.Just saying cause Guys like you are a dying breed.:congrats:

1 - 20 of 684 Posts