Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 57 started out as a 6 cyl 210

So I changed it to v8 and kept with the silver 210 theme.

So I looked at the catalog and ordered a silver Chevrolet script and a silver v8 emblem for the hood.

Now after car painted I go to install the script and the holes for the Chevrolet script don't match up.

The 6 cyl Silver script looks just like the v8 Chevrolet script but it is different size and does not match up to the 4 holes in my hood.

So now my choice is 1. Order the 6 cyl script and only mount it. 2. Order the 6 cyl script and then mount the v8 emblem under it somehow and wait for the experts to see my mistake at car shows. 3. Fill the holes and mount the v8 script and v8 emblem and then have my hood repainted.

So what would you guys do, and has any body else made this mistake.

Otis :wavey:

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Otis this may not be even a good thought on a car like yours but there is some double sided tape made for emblems trim etc. Just a thought

·
Trifive Calendar Editor
3,371 Posts
Maybe we could do with more info to make your decision easier.
If someone has or knows of a template for the V8 script mounting, it may turn out the holes will be mostly covered by the V8 script. -If so patching and touchup paint could be hidden.
On the other hand- maybe the 6 cylinder script of nearly the same width as the v8, and it'll work fine with the V. -I'll measure mine tommorrow.

·
Administrator
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the v8 script and it is smaller than the 6cyl script so it does not cover the 4 holes of the 6 cyl script, I am thinking of ordering the 6cyl script and then hoping that the v emblem will fit under it, but I am thinking the 6 cyl script mounts lower than the v8 script, so Phil could you measure the distance the script is from the bottom edge of the hood to give me an idea.

Thanks

Otis

·
RIP: 12-31-2011
2,893 Posts
I would run the 6 cylinder script for now unless you have the time and money to get your hood reshot. After all your hard work, don't half a** it.
Rick

·
Premium Member
19,669 Posts
OTIS

I think Id go number 3

So now my choice is 1. Order the 6 cyl script and only mount it. 2. Order the 6 cyl script and then mount the v8 emblem under it somehow and wait for the experts to see my mistake at car shows. 3. Fill the holes and mount the v8 script and v8 emblem and then have my hood repainted.
:anim_25: OTIS and keep us posted

·
Registered
36,144 Posts
Otis, I think the vee will be too low if you keep the 6 cylinder script. It's going to sit on the curve. Even if you could mount it, I don't think it would look right.

I'd leave things alone unless you're willing to go back to the painter. And there's some risk in that too with paint matching.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Bring it back to the painter, put the holes in the right place, he can use bite in repair clear then buff it and noone will ever no it happened, you would have to ask him, but i bet he could do it.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,394 Posts
I would run the 6 cylinder script for now unless you have the time and money to get your hood reshot. After all your hard work, don't half a** it.....Rick
If you are going to change them out (and I would by the way), I believe its better to do it now....I think the longer you wait, the harder it will be to match the paint.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Otis...sounds like you have my luck...maybe put the 6 cyl badge on for a while and see if you can live with it..sorry

·
Trifive Calendar Editor
3,371 Posts
I have the v8 script and it is smaller than the 6cyl script so it does not cover the 4 holes of the 6 cyl script, I am thinking of ordering the 6cyl script and then hoping that the v emblem will fit under it, but I am thinking the 6 cyl script mounts lower than the v8 script, so Phil could you measure the distance the script is from the bottom edge of the hood to give me an idea.

Thanks

Otis
Otis-measuring up from the hood center, distance from the crease in the hood, near the top edge of chrome trim, the Chevrolet (6 cylinder) script is exactly 3" up. This is measured in a straight line, not following the arch of the hood.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
It's Ok Otis -

Otis. run the 6cyl script & no V and leave it alone ....It will be a conversation piece down the road....:)
I agree - to me it wouldn't be a big deal. You've already got the car painted and to go backwards doesn't sound like a good plan - down the road when you have to re-paint, do it then. :)

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
What do you think the chance is of re painting your hood and have it match the rest of your car? I happen to like the 6 cyclinder badge

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
What do you think the chance is of re painting your hood and have it match the rest of your car? I happen to like the 6 cyclinder badge
Have to agree...I don't think that it takes anything away from the car.

Dave
:wavey:

·
Registered
524 Posts
Otis, with all the great work and time you have put into your '57, I would go with #3 choice. My 57' is V8 equipped, so if you need this: I went out and measured the stock locations starting at the bottom of the script(5 1/8 inches) and "V"(2 1/2 inches) down to the top of the chrome trim on the front of the hood. Hope you can use the info. :cool:

Here's a pic below:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts