21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Hi & welcome.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Hey Ron. Plenty of info available on this site. Get as much info/pics as you can. You can post the car in the classifieds of this forum, there may be some interest.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Welcome to the site from the Philly area There is a place in Morgantown that does consignment, but will provide more information on that when you get the photos on the chit chat or for sale thread. There are a bunch of us in the Philly area.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hello Ron. I am also Ron in Florida, Jacksonville Beach. Welcome to the site. Having bought and sold several cars over the years, I would always reco. a private sale. The dealers usually promise the moon and deliver just above the floor. Look over all websites such as ebay, hemmings, racing junk, mecum to get comparable information on similar priced vehicles. Funny, I was looking for a 55 4 years ago when I bought my 57 but could not find a quality car for my budget. Fell free to message me if I can be of any service. Looks like a beautiful car. Best of Luck !!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hello Ron. I am also Ron in Florida, Jacksonville Beach. Welcome to the site. Having bought and sold several cars over the years, I would always reco. a private sale. The dealers usually promise the moon and deliver just above the floor. Look over all websites such as ebay, hemmings, racing junk, mecum to get comparable information on similar priced vehicles. Funny, I was looking for a 55 4 years ago when I bought my 57 but could not find a quality car for my budget. Fell free to message me if I can be of any service. Looks like a beautiful car. Best of Luck !!
Thanks Ron,
Yes, I think we are on the same page. I would like to find a private buyer, ideally in the NE so they can see and drive the car. Barring that, I am leaning towards an auction. I have worked with Bring A Trailer before, and I like the format of their online auctions. I never sold a car on consignment before, so I am a bit hesitant to go down that road.
Is there a Philadelphia area tri-five club or a NE regional club that you know about?
Cheers,
Ron in FL

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just wanted to introduce myself and reach out to the community here. My sister-in-law recently asked me to help her with the sale of her late husband's beautiful '55 Chevy. I have bought and sold several classic cars before, but I am honestly not very familiar with the tri-fives. I'm hoping to fix that by joining this group and getting some background on these great looking cars. I wanted to ask the enthusiasts here about the best resources for valuing the car (he has pretty complete documentation on the money spent on the project) and some recommendations on the best approaches for selling the car (privately or at auction) in order to find someone who can enjoy this car as much as he did.
Thanks,
Ron in FL
(I'll try to add a few more photos, but here is one I took a few years ago at a local show. The car has been in a climate controlled storage facility since last year.)

View attachment 325826
Welcome Ron In FL.
You say the car is in the Philadelphia area & you're in Florida. Are you looking to sell it in the eastern Pennsylvania area, for the convenience of your sister-in-law ??
If so, you may want to contact this place, that's about 50 minutes west from center city Philadelphia, along the PA Turnpike in Morgantown, PA. It's the Classic Auto Mall, 6180 Morgantown Rd, Morgantown, PA 19543, Phone: (610) 901-3804 (you can check them out on line 1st).
It's very easy to get to, if you don't care about paying the inflated PA Turnpike tolls. You just run the turnpike to the Morgantown exit, pay your toll with ez pass or cash (I think they still do cash at those booths, at least they were in May), after leaving the booth, follow the To Morgantown signs, that's about 1.5 miles from the exit, look for the Holiday In Express behind the McDonald's on your right after crossing over the turnpike, right turn at the McDonald's traffic light, turn right into the Holiday INN Express parking lot, drive down in front of the Holiday Inn heading towards the turnpike, make a left into the parking lot (the mall & Holiday Inn are the same big parking lot) between the front of the mall & turnpike, then go about halfway in front of the mall to the main entrance. Voila, you're there !!
It,s located in an old mall that's attached to the Morgantown Holiday Inn Express (no walkway between the two, you need to enter at the main entrance of the Classic Auto Mall like everyone else. Most of the cars there are on consignment by individual owners & the many times that I've been there (I live 30 minutes west of Morgantown), there are always 3 to 4 hundred cars at all times. There're all types of cars ranging from $20,000 to $1,000,000. The one million dollar car is a real, all original 289 AC Cobra, that's in one of many rooms (the old stores in the mall) that I call the high dollar room (the $80,000 to $1,000,000 cars).
There's always at least a 5 to 6 person staff watching & helping (most are very knowledgeable on all the cars, but a few not so much, but they will contact one of the knowledgeable ones) with the info of the cars. All cars are consigned indoors, in one of the 4 main mall aisles or in one of the many old stores in the mall right off the 4 main aisles.
It's free (no admission fee) to the public & looking buyers, after sighing in at the Classic Auto Mall's main entrance. Naturally, it's a climate controlled building (AC in the summer & heat in the winter), clean large Men's & Woman's bathrooms if needed, closed Sundays, 9 am to noon Saturdays, Wednesdays the long day 9 am to 8 pm & the four other weekdays are 9 am to 5 pm. My understanding when talking to one of the staff is, you the seller tell them what you're hoping to get & then they tack on 10% of the asking or negotiated selling price for their consignment services. I'd double check that, but that sounds about right.
I still go there at least 6 times a year since it's only 30 minutes from my house. You name it, it could be there !! there's wooden wheel cars & trucks, barn finds, 1920's through 80's cars from daily driver type, hot rod type, mussel cars, & the last time I was there I found an old jet powered funny car with the engine in back of one of the stores. It's like waking through history, if you have the sickness for cars as I do, & I'm thinking I'm in good company here at this site, we more then likely all have the sickness. The 1st time I went there, I took my 33 year old son along on a Saturday. we got there at 9;30 am & the next thing I knew they were turning off the lights because it was noon & we only got through half the mall. I went back on Wednesday (Their long day) & sent another 5 hrs. there. That's when it's good that they have the nice large clean restrooms. It's like going to an auto museum, but you can buy what's there, plus the price of admission could not be better, FREE.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Welcome Ron In FL.
You say the car is in the Philadelphia area & you're in Florida. Are you looking to sell it in the eastern Pennsylvania area, for the convenience of your sister-in-law ??
If so, you may want to contact this place, that's about 50 minutes west from center city Philadelphia, along the PA Turnpike in Morgantown, PA. It's the Classic Auto Mall, 6180 Morgantown Rd, Morgantown, PA 19543, Phone: (610) 901-3804 (you can check them out on line 1st).
It's very easy to get to, if you don't care about paying the inflated PA Turnpike tolls. You just run the turnpike to the Morgantown exit, pay your toll with ez pass or cash (I think they still do cash at those booths, at least they were in May), after leaving the booth, follow the To Morgantown signs, that's about 1.5 miles from the exit, look for the Holiday In Express behind the McDonald's on your right after crossing over the turnpike, right turn at the McDonald's traffic light, turn right into the Holiday INN Express parking lot, drive down in front of the Holiday Inn heading towards the turnpike, make a left into the parking lot (the mall & Holiday Inn are the same big parking lot) between the front of the mall & turnpike, then go about halfway in front of the mall to the main entrance. Voila, you're there !!
It,s located in an old mall that's attached to the Morgantown Holiday Inn Express (no walkway between the two, you need to enter at the main entrance of the Classic Auto Mall like everyone else. Most of the cars there are on consignment by individual owners & the many times that I've been there (I live 30 minutes west of Morgantown), there are always 3 to 4 hundred cars at all times. There're all types of cars ranging from $20,000 to $1,000,000. The one million dollar car is a real, all original 289 AC Cobra, that's in one of many rooms (the old stores in the mall) that I call the high dollar room (the $80,000 to $1,000,000 cars).
There's always at least a 5 to 6 person staff watching & helping (most are very knowledgeable on all the cars, but a few not so much, but they will contact one of the knowledgeable ones) with the info of the cars. All cars are consigned indoors, in one of the 4 main mall aisles or in one of the many old stores in the mall right off the 4 main aisles.
It's free (no admission fee) to the public & looking buyers, after sighing in at the Classic Auto Mall's main entrance. Naturally, it's a climate controlled building (AC in the summer & heat in the winter), clean large Men's & Woman's bathrooms if needed, closed Sundays, 9 am to noon Saturdays, Wednesdays the long day 9 am to 8 pm & the four other weekdays are 9 am to 5 pm. My understanding when talking to one of the staff is, you the seller tell them what you're hoping to get & then they tack on 10% of the asking or negotiated selling price for their consignment services. I'd double check that, but that sounds about right.
I still go there at least 6 times a year since it's only 30 minutes from my house. You name it, it could be there !! there's wooden wheel cars & trucks, barn finds, 1920's through 80's cars from daily driver type, hot rod type, mussel cars, & the last time I was there I found an old jet powered funny car with the engine in back of one of the stores. It's like waking through history, if you have the sickness for cars as I do, & I'm thinking I'm in good company here at this site, we more then likely all have the sickness. The 1st time I went there, I took my 33 year old son along on a Saturday. we got there at 9;30 am & the next thing I knew they were turning off the lights because it was noon & we only got through half the mall. I went back on Wednesday (Their long day) & sent another 5 hrs. there. That's when it's good that they have the nice large clean restrooms. It's like going to an auto museum, but you can buy what's there, plus the price of admission could not be better, FREE.
Thanks for your thoughts on consignment and the classic auto mall. I definitely know where Morgantown is, having logged a lot of miles on the PA Turnpike.
I took a look at their site and they definitely have an interesting inventory, including a couple tri-fives. I'll see how my sister-in-law feels about consigning the car. I don't have any experience selling a car this way, and would probably prefer a private sale first, followed by a reputable auction (on line or in person) Have you ever sold/bought a car from a consigner? If so, how was your experience?
Ron in FL

·
Premium Member
10,727 Posts
Welcome to Tri-Five. We're glad to have you here. Regarding the value of your 55, you might want to contact a professional appraisal service or perhaps check some classic car sales sites and compare what you have to what's being sold. Best of luck.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Welcome to Tri-Five Forums. Van

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.