Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guess I ought to apologize for another HT/sedan quarter question, but here goes...I am giving up on production of 57 sedan quarters and will use a HT part. There are 'full' qtrs then there are really full quarters that include the trunk opening channel. My channel and the area around the bottom of the C pillar is really bad. Question: what all is different besides the belt line dip between the two models? is the trunk opening the same, i.e. can I use the HT quarter all the way to the trunk? Thanks for any advice (if any of you are around Richmond/Rosenberg Texas, come see it...)

·
Registered
37,975 Posts
We've discussed your project previously.

As I recall, you have some issues on the top of the quarter and around the rear window.

The spot where the rear window meets the trunk filler panel is further forward on the hardtop vs. the sedan. The filler panel between the trunk lid and and window is much longer. The C pillar is further forward and shaped much differently. So a full hardtop quarter is not going to be shaped correctly there. It will have too much material and a slightly different shape even if you disregard the C pillar. The full ht quarter will have the correct contour further back.

I would recommend that you post photos of your quarter area again, or link to your previous post if you had some photos there.

I would also try to find out when the 57 sedan full quarters will be available. I just put a ht quarter (not a full factory style one) on my 55 sedan. I will promise you that for just the belt line dip area alone, it is worth waiting for. It really doesn't matter whether you are doing this yourself or paying someone. There is so much welding, grinding, straightening, and planishing to do it the way I did it, I would advise anyone to wait for the the full sedan quarter. It's either going to cost a bunch of time or a bunch of money not to. If I needed the C pillar or any sheet metal close to it, it would just double my resolve to wait.

Maybe you could contact Resto-World and get a realistic idea of when that panel will be available. Surely it's not too much longer, but I guess you never know.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
checked already w/RestoW

I talked to Resto World a couple of weeks ago- they say they have no idea when something might be available. I haven't worked on this car for a year (was off a while for prostate removal then off some more for MRSA infection, then off a while for some consulting work) and now need to make some progress. It needs a frame replacement (the frame it's on is straight but too much rust to keep) so I have blasted a replacement frame and will paint it this week if the temp comes up a bit. Will be ordering all the chassis parts this week. Trying to put off the quarter as long as possible waiting on the sedan part. I have some other rust repair to do (drip rails, top edges at rear drip rail, rear trunk panels, a-pillars, etc, etc) so maybe I can wait another couple of months. I sure appreciate your opinions, BTW, I met the guy at South Coast Rides- really good guy, came and looked at it and confirmed I was going at it right, but said he would have found a better candidate....Said he figured he would need 1000 hours...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts