Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a good deal on a 10 bolt posi rear end out of a second gen camaro.I know they are 1 1/2"wider than my stock one.I know my wheels will not fit inside the wheel wells with this set up.So im wondering if anybody else is ruuning this rear end and if the had any trouble finding wheels with the right offsets.It will be going into my 56 bel air 2 door sedan thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
A second gen Camaro is about 1 inch overall wider than 55-57 and usually fits thes cars pretty well. They are exact same with as 68-72 Chevelle or 70-72 Monte. The second Gen Camaro has an 8.5 ring gear and larger bearings and is much stronger than 7.5 or 8.2 Ten bolts.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats good news to me about the strength.Am i going to have any problems with finding wheels.Im leaning towards cragers that are 15"x10".Im hoping sombody on here is running this set up and has some pics maybe?

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
I put a '79 Camaro 10 bolt posi in my '57. I didn't use bigger tires. Stuck with stock sizes and never had a problem. Pretty strong rear.

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
The 8.5" ten bolt is a strong rearend, and almost as strong as the 12 bolt GM rearend. A good choice if you want to stick with Chevy 5x4.75" pattern. But a cheap better choice is the late model Explorer rearend, if you don't mind the 5x4.5" pattern.
They can be found with drum brakes up to '93, and disc brakes after that. They are as strong as the 12 bolt, and 31 spline axles, vs. 30 spline on a 12 bolt. The prices are fantastic, and around here a 3.73 or 4.10 limited slip will cost about $200 at the pick n pull.
They are also 58" surface to surface, so they will allow wider wheels and tires easily on a Tri 5.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The wheels on the car now are as wide as they can go.With another 1'' the tires would rub the quater panels.They are 14'' wheels anyway so i planed on changing them.I dont know the backspacing on these wheels .I really like how wide they are and want to keep that look.Ive read on hear the explorer rear ends are a good choice too.But the price of this 10 bolt is next to nothing so i can afford to swap ratio's.If i went with the ford rear then new wheels are a must to.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is anyone running 8.5" wheels with a 10 bolt out of a 2nd Gen.camaro? I would like to see pics of outer wheel to see how deep they look.and what is the inside offset? Thanks for the help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts