Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Trifive on Facebook Admin
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4door sedan post BA and all the info I can find is for 2 doors or verts.
I'm trying to get the rest of the trim off and don't want to bend the SS or break it, I'm trying to remove the side rear quarter trim and need to know if there is a special tool I need. I tried with a wide flat screw driver and see a clip by the door end and couldn't get it off without breaking or bending something. I read that the last clip has a screw that I have to slide the piece back towards to release it. Is that right?
Also I need to remove the SS behind the rear side window and the rear glass. after I get the screws off the inside lip does it just pry off from there? there is a piece that is in front of that one too I can't see how it is attached.
Thanks

·
Administrator
49,952 Posts
Dave if the very rear quarter/back window piece is the same as a 2dr then it will have a nut from the inside of the trunk for the back pointed clip. The upper trim has clips that should either pop out or need to be squeezed together to release.
Terry

·
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Terry, does the side trim just pop off or is there screws I have to worry about?

·
Administrator
49,952 Posts
Talking about down the center of the body? If so some will be pop-in clips and others will be studs with speed nuts on the back. The center door trim will have screws into the clips at each end too.
Terry

·
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I'm working on the quarter panel now. just don't want to mess up nice straight pieces.

·
Registered
37,965 Posts
From the factory there are speed nuts on the backside of the trim down the middle of the quarter panel. It's accessible from under the car.

The trim around the rear window has a corner piece with a stud and a nut at the upper 90 degree corners. Usually turning the nut will break the stud but if you pry on it you'll bend the stainless so get in there like the nut is going to come out clean, if it breaks it's Ok. Danchuk has corner pieces with new studs, 99% will need that piece if you pull them. The bottom rear windshield trim is held by clips, you remove it with a tool that sold for that or use a putty knife. The upper piece is T shaped, the vertical leg of the T goes into the window gasket, you'll need to remove the window with the trim or cut the gasket with a box knife.

·
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's been a while since I tried to get the trim off. Today I got the tail light off after I removed all the Ziebart that was sprayed on the nuts. I'll say one thing, the rust proofing did it's job. where ever I scraped it off the metal was like new.
If I'm not mistaken I have to remove the filler tube for the gas tank to get to the speed nut for the top side trim piece.
Does the bottom piece have a special clip next to the door jamb? I tried to pry it off but there is a different type and I'm affraid of bending the trim piece.
Thanks

·
Administrator
49,952 Posts
Dave i put mine on without removing the filler tube. The front one on mine has a nut on it from the inside, of course mine is a 2dr which may change things.
Terry

·
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Terry, I'll have to investigate it more. The right side I can get to the speed nuts easy without the filler tube there.

·
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn't find a screw or nut inside the filler area.

·
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
4 doors have the front nut in the wheel well for the bottom fin trim SS. I thoight it was just a clip until I chipped all the undercoating off it. I still have to pull the filler tube out to get to the back top trim nut.
Just so you know.
Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts