Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a questions about some brakes on a 99 subaru outback. I guess this questions doesnt matter so much about the particular car,but more of a trouble shooting question.
Im trying to figure out what part is bad on the car,The rotors and pads look good all the way around. It doesnt leak fluid anywhere,no leaks on any caliper,holds fluid in the master cylinder. But it doesnt have great stopping power and the pedal goes down about half way down before you feel it starting to slow down,but once you get down that far it will slow and stop you decent,,it just has a real mushy feel to it.
I bled the brake lines,there was no air and everything looked normal.

I thought it might be the brake booster but from what im told if it were that it would be hard to push the pedal down and not mushy,This true?
Im guessing if it were some brake calipers I wouldnt be stopping at all,and I would see some uneven wear from the left to right side pads or possibly see some fluid leaking.
Im thinking its the master cylinder,everything else appears to be doing its job.
But like I said I dont have much experience with this stuff,so if anyone could let me know if they think im right,or maybe know what else it could be let me know.
I guess I could go get a brake inspection done,but I would hate to spend 50 bux for them to tell me I need a $60 part.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Could be a fault in one of the anti-lock channels. Have it checked at a dealer - worth it in the long run once you get into the computer controlled brakes.

if it weren't for being an anti-lock system I would guess you just need to change the fluid. Moisture and sludge accumulate in the fluid with heat cycles. Acts just like you are describing - ABS systems are more affected by moisture which is why dot 4 was developed - but you could be bleeding off on low pedal pressure which is a computer controlled function - on high pressure - when the AB is actually engaging you get a real pulsy feel to the pedal - on low pressure bleeds you may not feel it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts