Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aside from my small collection of GM classics, I have a couple of VW's. One is a '70 Beetle, and the other is an oval window '56 Baja Bug. Both are 90% restored but still road, and off road worthy. No speed demons on the highway, but get them off road and their light weight, spunky engines, and road clearance brings out the kid in you. Of course you can pay $8,000 and buy a new Razor or some other commercial dune buggy but I enjoy that original off road fun we had with "Bugs". They are quite common in the desert soutwest and beach dunes. I enjoy the benefit of both. Living in the Bay Area we also have a beach house near the Oceano and Pismo Dunes on the Central Coast, and my business is in the rural desert area east of San Diego. Plenty of sand to drive on.
I was wondering if those living in other states are making use of these still inexpensive play toys, and how?
Here's a few pics of my two.
Bob

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant
Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Car
Land vehicle Car Wheel Tire Vehicle
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Vehicle Tire Hood Car Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
11,919 Posts
Had this bug on the side of my house yesterday. Never seen a spider that big in Alabama. As for VW, had a 74 Super Beetle back in the mid 90’s, I do miss that car.

Wood Brickwork Grey Brick Stone wall

·
Premium Member
2,566 Posts
My Lovely bride has owned this car since she was in high school. Yep she has had this car for 45 years.

I did a full secret restoration on it 5 years ago. It had been sitting in the back shop for 16 years So I did a pan up full restoration. It is now sporting a very original looking but seriously up graded 1850 CC engine making 90 HP.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

here is the "reveal" Video

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My Lovely bride has owned this car since she was in high school. Yep she has had this car for 45 years.

I did a full secret restoration on it 5 years ago. It had been sitting in the back shop for 16 years So I did a pan up full restoration. It is now sporting a very original looking but seriously up graded 1850 CC engine making 90 HP.

View attachment 376886

here is the "reveal" Video

Cool! I had the engine overhauled since you last saw my Baja. Changed carb, overhauled clutch and tranny. Added oil filter and temp gauge. Threw in a mild cam and went wiith elect ignition. I'm having the original gas tank cleaned out. The 7.5 gallon auxiliary has stranded me a couple of times. Replaced rack and pinion pump and new brakes. Cruises 65-70 beautifully, Need a tach, but all other gauges work. I'm hauling it to Pismo tomorrow. The other will stay in SoCal.
Bob

·
Premium Member
2,566 Posts
Cool! I had the engine overhauled since you last saw my Baja. Changed carb, overhauled clutch and tranny. Added oil filter and temp gauge. Threw in a mild cam and went wiith elect ignition. I'm having the original gas tank cleaned out. The 7.5 gallon auxiliary has stranded me a couple of times. Replaced rack and pinion pump and new brakes. Cruises 65-70 beautifully, Need a tach, but all other gauges work. I'm hauling it to Pismo tomorrow. The other will stay in SoCal.
Bob
That is awesome Bob. I bet that little guy is a blast with a proper carb and ignition.

·
Registered
980 Posts
You have me wondering how common it is to be into Tri-5's and bugs. I ordered my '67 22 years ago from Oldbug.com

I had spoken to the site owner Randy Carlson but had never actually seen the car. I wired the money and then I spent 3 weeks of second guessing myself until the car was delivered to the shipper's NY location and I drove down to see it. The car was in WAY better shape than I had expected it to be. I've since completely restored it and it gets driven as much as possible when I'm not bombing around in the '55.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

My daughter, who doesn't remember us not owning the car has already told me that she wants the car when I'm done with it so looks like it will be around long after I'm no longer here. I'm ok with that, I love this little car.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yep. I’m a Trifive 66 bug combo. They sit side by side. This one came from a couple I’ve known for 30’years. I used to have a 61 custom. He and I used to work on our bugs together. Well he passed away a couple years ago. The wife (who drove it out of the shipping container in 1966) called me and told me to come and get it. I was shocked. It has 33,000 original miles. I will say the 56 and 66 equally get heads turning, but the bug is always attached to a memory or a story of someone’s childhood.

Attachments

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
11,919 Posts
The Samba is another place for VWs, I know it’s probably one of the biggest forums/marketplaces for the first (and only) Gen Beetles.

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You have me wondering how common it is to be into Tri-5's and bugs. I ordered my '67 22 years ago from Oldbug.com

I had spoken to the site owner Randy Carlson but had never actually seen the car. I wired the money and then I spent 3 weeks of second guessing myself until the car was delivered to the shipper's NY location and I drove down to see it. The car was in WAY better shape than I had expected it to be. I've since completely restored it and it gets driven as much as possible when I'm not bombing around in the '55.

View attachment 376930
My daughter, who doesn't remember us not owning the car has already told me that she wants the car when I'm done with it so looks like it will be around long after I'm no longer here. I'm ok with that, I love this little car.
Nice little heirloom. :cool:(y)

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep. I’m a Trifive 66 bug combo. They sit side by side. This one came from a couple I’ve known for 30’years. I used to have a 61 custom. He and I used to work on our bugs together. Well he passed away a couple years ago. The wife (who drove it out of the shipping container in 1966) called me and told me to come and get it. I was shocked. It has 33,000 original miles. I will say the 56 and 66 equally get heads turning, but the bug is always attached to a memory or a story of someone’s childhood.
Nice story...nice cars. :cool:(y)

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
When my oldest son was in High School (1978) he decided that he wanted to work on
Volkswagens so he attended BOCES (Broome Cooperative Education Services)
along with his High School classes. I started collecting VW cars and engines.
Had 2 or 3 Bugs, 3 Square backs and a fast back along with about 50 engines
parts heads and tin and a couple of trans axles in various states of assembly/disassembly.
My second son rolled one of the Bugs and also drove a square back to college in Ohio
for a couple of years.

2 weeks before he graduated my oldest son enlisted in the Army. All the vehicles are gone
but I still have around 25- 30 engines, heads and tin in the barn.

Just a few pics, After 40 some years it's not very organized

Wood Automotive tire Gas Building Font
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Tread Wheel
Wood Pollution Gas Waste Event
Wood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Machine

·
Premium Member
2,566 Posts
Saw a show on wheeler dealer he was restoring a VW bug, there is a place in Cali that has 95% of all parts to rebuild a VW bug from scratch, this includes bodies, panels etc etc
Yea, J Bugs is one of a handful of aftermarket distributors that carry just about any part you might need for an air cooled VW. The cars were built all over the globe and were still in production in Mexico and Brazil just a few years ago. So parts are plentiful and cheap.

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
10,538 Posts
I've never owned one myself, but have been a 'fan' of them for many years. I especially like the early ones with the unique features (like the oval rear window). My roommate when I was in the USAF at KAFB was an owner and fan, and he told me the '67 models were the BEST they ever made.. :)

Several years ago I had a work trip to Mexico City, and it seemed to me that was where ALL BUGS ended up! there were millions of them running around.. everyone had one! :)

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Had a 62 in early 70’s with a sunroof( or whatever you call the holdback top) and a gasoline heater. The heater was under the front hood and had its own spark plug. Car didn’t even need to be on for the heater to work. Never saw another heater like that. Was dating my wife( 49 years) and rolled it in our 2nd date doing donuts.
Larry

·
Registered
57 Posts
they always said the big was going to a museum in mesquite Nevada. Although I was quite honored, I was shocked to learn it was coming my way. I’m not letting it just sit though. When I got it, I realized he put in a 3rd brake light on the rear deck. 😂 I smiled and took it off.

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Made it to Pismo in one piece so I’m taking the Baja to the Oceano Dunes tomorrow to give it a trial spin. My wife will follow in my F150 4X4…just in case.
mom our way today we stopped in Banning and I spotted this all original 1970 bus. He offered it to me for $13K. I was tempted.
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Sky
Vehicle Motor vehicle Sky Vehicle door Wood
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Steering wheel Automotive design
Vehicle Volkswagen type 2 Tire Car Van

1 - 20 of 32 Posts