Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aside from my small collection of GM classics, I have a couple of VW's. One is a '70 Beetle, and the other is an oval window '56 Baja Bug. Both are 90% restored but still road, and off road worthy. No speed demons on the highway, but get them off road and their light weight, spunky engines, and road clearance brings out the kid in you. Of course you can pay $8,000 and buy a new Razor or some other commercial dune buggy but I enjoy that original off road fun we had with "Bugs". They are quite common in the desert soutwest and beach dunes. I enjoy the benefit of both. Living in the Bay Area we also have a beach house near the Oceano and Pismo Dunes on the Central Coast, and my business is in the rural desert area east of San Diego. Plenty of sand to drive on.
I was wondering if those living in other states are making use of these still inexpensive play toys, and how?
Here's a few pics of my two.
Bob

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant
Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Car
Land vehicle Car Wheel Tire Vehicle
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Vehicle Tire Hood Car Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My Lovely bride has owned this car since she was in high school. Yep she has had this car for 45 years.

I did a full secret restoration on it 5 years ago. It had been sitting in the back shop for 16 years So I did a pan up full restoration. It is now sporting a very original looking but seriously up graded 1850 CC engine making 90 HP.

View attachment 376886

here is the "reveal" Video

Cool! I had the engine overhauled since you last saw my Baja. Changed carb, overhauled clutch and tranny. Added oil filter and temp gauge. Threw in a mild cam and went wiith elect ignition. I'm having the original gas tank cleaned out. The 7.5 gallon auxiliary has stranded me a couple of times. Replaced rack and pinion pump and new brakes. Cruises 65-70 beautifully, Need a tach, but all other gauges work. I'm hauling it to Pismo tomorrow. The other will stay in SoCal.
Bob

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You have me wondering how common it is to be into Tri-5's and bugs. I ordered my '67 22 years ago from Oldbug.com

I had spoken to the site owner Randy Carlson but had never actually seen the car. I wired the money and then I spent 3 weeks of second guessing myself until the car was delivered to the shipper's NY location and I drove down to see it. The car was in WAY better shape than I had expected it to be. I've since completely restored it and it gets driven as much as possible when I'm not bombing around in the '55.

View attachment 376930
My daughter, who doesn't remember us not owning the car has already told me that she wants the car when I'm done with it so looks like it will be around long after I'm no longer here. I'm ok with that, I love this little car.
Nice little heirloom. :cool:(y)

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep. I’m a Trifive 66 bug combo. They sit side by side. This one came from a couple I’ve known for 30’years. I used to have a 61 custom. He and I used to work on our bugs together. Well he passed away a couple years ago. The wife (who drove it out of the shipping container in 1966) called me and told me to come and get it. I was shocked. It has 33,000 original miles. I will say the 56 and 66 equally get heads turning, but the bug is always attached to a memory or a story of someone’s childhood.
Nice story...nice cars. :cool:(y)

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Made it to Pismo in one piece so I’m taking the Baja to the Oceano Dunes tomorrow to give it a trial spin. My wife will follow in my F150 4X4…just in case.
mom our way today we stopped in Banning and I spotted this all original 1970 bus. He offered it to me for $13K. I was tempted.
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Sky
Vehicle Motor vehicle Sky Vehicle door Wood
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Steering wheel Automotive design
Vehicle Volkswagen type 2 Tire Car Van

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Wow Pismo Beach was my old stomping ground as a kid. Have you been to oceano dunes in a while? Man it’s changed. We were there last year. We took the Jeep out. They have shrunk the area you can go in the dunes to hardly Nothing. It’s due to close in 2024 is what they’re saying. Man 13k ? That is tempting.
I may be going to the dunes this morning. Yes, those living in the the new home developments behind the dunes are making a lot of noise about the noise and dust. As you know the dunes were there way before they started selling homes in the hills behind the dunes. They are still extremely popular. I took my FJ 40 there before I sold it earlier this year.

Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Sky Water

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Had fun at the beach. Still trying to see it’s limitations. Plenty of torque in 1st and 2nd and the 15X6 Yokohamas keep me from bogging down in loose sand. Nice for broadies and donuts.
Water Sky Azure Beach Cloud
Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Vehicle
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Car
Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood Automotive tire
Sky Wheel Tire Water Vehicle
Tire Wheel Sky Water Vehicle

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Found the right axle boot is leaking, so gonna take a look at it tomorrow. We were in the mood for a sherbet so I got the ‘Vette out of the garage and went down town to our favorite ice cream parlor. Funny how the Baja makes twice as much noise without the performance, but I sure as hell wouldn’t do broadies on the beach with the C1.
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Sky

1 - 9 of 9 Posts