Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi #1 -7 & 10 & everyone

Had think 1 up, I'm building a...34 Olds 4dr... & I'm Grafting the Middle of the 34 Olds Frame inside a El Camino, for the New up to date type suss. & Brakes.&&& -->Motor mounts for a Big Chevy*
I'm a Fabricator... & have to cut & weld something...
& make it a WB original

it said 454 on the El Camino....& I want a big motor in this 1...
What would be the best, --> & or easy to find. without going Big Bucks, motor to look for...? are they all the same (454)..?...
( i was just gonna go similar yr)- it will be a Street Rod.
... for when i get to that point...?

I did a 3" Slanted Chop on it before anyone could try & talk me out of it.
& plan a 6" slanted Channel job,...& the roof, uses the hole &..
gets a Full opening pull back-( like on a VW Bus)
I paid $600 for it & got over, & Saved it.. Still Saving it!!- -
------> " someday" Thats my biggest start over project
it was a gutted hollow car,(wood interior)-(Not)
----------------->*** But The Grille is Sweet, & I fell in love with it*
& I plan to drive it someday*** as a Street Rod.

Thanks for the space to throw around ideas!
Hope U' all enjoy my consepts on my project..
** Got to be Differant** & shop 101 --> & I have to say,...
" I Did it* --- My Way"

Cheers! :wavey: :blowtiedb: :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wow, only 4 posts?

The Merc is a '41 5W Business Cpe. My father bought it new in March 1941, traded his '39 Studebaker Cpe on it. List price was $1250.

But it's got the locking steering wheel, 2-spd Columbia rr-end, industrial Ford 3-spd, factory heater, radio, fire extinguisher.

95hp Flathead with a Stromberg originally.
Ended up with an outrageous 100hp flattie and 3 Webers.

Transverse frt & rr springs, kingpin frt end.
The factory hydraulic shocks went in 1960 for tubes.
My dad bought an Avion travel trailer and fitted the Merc to pull it.

This meant an overhaul of a Cadillac bb, 2 44-bbl carbs, addition of trailer brakes -mechanical, to this day, I do not understand electric trailer brakes.

6V to 12V is unnerving. I had 2 HDs with 6V and never again.
I don't know how my father stood the aggravation.
By section, he removed the cloth wiring, replacing it as he went.

The Merc has 265K over 70 years, 3 countries, 5 engines, and starts every time. A '67 Buick 340 went in in '70. I was a shop slave at that time. It was not easy work with 1 chain hoist and a 10-yr old girl, but we did it. We did it for 2 months, but hey.

In '05, a friend of my dad's decided to get his Healey out of mothballs.
"I can do that," sed I to myself (because no one else was listening).

So I did. Soaked the cylinders in MMO, dropped the gas tank and, lemme tell ya, this is a BFT. It sits in its own frame which in turn bolts to the car's frame. It is big, it is heavy and there are not adjectives to describe the smell of old gas.

Tires, stainless lines, new brake lines, boring stuff went on for a month.

Then it was time to turn over the engine. I had absolutely no doubt this would run. My father rebuilt it, of course it would run. And it did, for about 20 minutes until that Carter AFB gave it up.

Vacuum chokes are a curse. A nuisance. A destroyer of faith in the engineering genius of whichever human was asleep that day.
Hah, 1 beautiful Edlebrock 4106 and an hour later, the Merc was running.

Oh, yeah, not a lot in the brakes department.
Enough to stop, just not quickly.

I needed a lift, preferably a large one. The Merc is not a small car.

Wheel cylinders, check. NOS (it was in the basement) drums, springs, slides, etc. And the wonderful Ford wheel-puller, the must-have accessory for any season and the woman who wants to GO.

2 days later, I pulled the Merc off my buddy's lot and let it rip.
Good God.

This thing is rivetted, for heavenssakes, so old there's not a spot-weld on it.
There's NO power steering or brakes.
No such thing as hung pedals, right out of the floor.
12" clutch.
2-speed rear end.
500-and-we-don't-really-know horsepower.

The Merc is an animal. It is raw. It is almost 2 tons of no reason to exist except speed. It looks old and cute and harmless, just sitting there. Sort of sedate; sedate like a granny with 9mm instead of a rolling pin.

It is the most delightful thing I have ever driven.

Cops pull me over to ask "what IS that?"
Little kids wave at me.
People from the school are uhm.... surprised. Yeah, surprised.
HS kids (I'm a teacher) are know-it-alls (I was, you were, it generally passes after comeuppance.), 'hey Mrs D, does that old thing really run? Can I race you?' stuff.

I ran it in a quarter mile 2 years ago. 3400 lbs and I pulled a 7.
Half the boys there were "oh man, that's my English teacher" and I now command respect that college, work experience, and an advanced degree could not.

Ain't life a hoot when you finally get to drive your dad's car.

·
Registered
67,443 Posts
hi Mrs D. sounds so cool and being your dad's is very cool. :tu hey!!!Wheres the pics

·
Registered
289 Posts
Well I know this will upset the chevy only crowd but, My daily ride is a 34 Ford. Unless it's raining or snowing. (I've been caught out in the rain more times than I like). To really upset the chevy guys I even put a ford motor in it. It's a 351 windsor built by Roush racing. I run a currie 9" with 3:70 gears and a C-5 trans. It's a lot of fun.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
This is my latest project.Its a 49 Chevy Sedan Delivery that sits on a 69 El Camino frame.It has the original 69 I6 but a 62-64 327 came w/the deal.It has a 350 TH automatic(I think its a 350)
The PO told me that all it needed was a carburetor rebuild to be road ready.....What he didn't tell me was that the carburetor float was stuck and that caused an under hood fire.The master cylinder,under hood wiring and a bunch of other under hood parts were burned there are also other problems that he didn't mention..We all know how that works.
.I neglected to have anyone in Texas inspect the car for me..Yes ,I'm an idiot..
Bruce(hotrodhandyman) dropped off the air cleaner when he stopped for his visit.I'm now trying to find a throttle cable and bracket for a 250 six cylinder w/an automatic transmission..I gave a throttle bracket away here a coupla years ago w/ PIF...Shoulda kept it..LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
These aren't regular "Chevy guys," they don't upset easily.

All steel? Fiberglass apron? Where is your hood? Axle's a proper dropped, right? Vacuum wipers, right? One or two? Want another?
Ok, that is NOT an original interior!

Yeah, my dad had a 3W.
Green mohair, tiny dash, short straight shifter, disgusting, odd dash paint.
Black because Rust-Oleum always matched.

Chevy 262 w/a Ford truck 3-spd and a Columbia rear.
Tame with a Carter 4-bbl. Internally, not interesting. It was not supposed to be able to work (said that about the Merc, too) with the trans and diff.

Yeah, well. My dad was a machinist with an attitude. :congrats:

He gave $250 for it in 1953 for a work car!
If it got scratched, oh well. If it rained, oh bugger vacuum wipers. If it snowed, he'd put in 2Lo (Columbia, he had a thing for them) and make a track through the neighborhood before the snow plows came out.

I could barely see over the dash and the Coupe was my favorite car.
The Coupe was the first thing I ever drove. Guess he figured I couldn't hurt it.

He sold it in 1974 and I tracked it through 6 owners to western PA in '05.
Nothing since.

But I'm liking the red.
Can I drive it for an hour? I know how. ;)

Well I know this will upset the chevy only crowd but, My daily ride is a 34 Ford. Unless it's raining or snowing. (I've been caught out in the rain more times than I like). To really upset the chevy guys I even put a ford motor in it. It's a 351 windsor built by Roush racing. I run a currie 9" with 3:70 gears and a C-5 trans. It's a lot of fun.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm now trying to find a throttle cable and bracket for a 250 six cylinder w/an automatic transmission..I gave a throttle bracket away here a coupla years ago w/ PIF...Shoulda kept it..LOL
We all should have kept the parts we didn't.

The bracket is the same on 1/2 tons through '70? '69? The year they got square.

Do you have the ends? Know the length?

There's a Mopar guy who builds cables for odd things.
http://www.imperialservices.net/index.html

Ask. Tell him you found on a Chevy forum from a Travco yahoo group, that'll be sure to make his day. :party0031:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thankee, Carls55.
The Merc is family.

But don't call me Mrs D unless you want me to grade it! ;)

Pictures... I'm a bloody Lit major! I earn a living from words!
Nuance and cadence are my stock in trade. Silly digital age.
:sign0020:

Got the hang of smileys, past time to develop my uploading skills.

http://s1187.photobucket.com/albums/z392/PatriciaStuff/
Family et al 1st pic is the Merc, fronted by my bud Phylis and The Daughter.

hi Mrs D. sounds so cool and being your dad's is very cool. :tu hey!!!Wheres the pics

·
Premium Member
1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe
301 Posts
I have just sold a 1976 Corvette because I didn't have anywhere to keep it under roof after just recently buying my 1955 Bel Air. I went through that Corvette from front to back including building a new 383 stroker after spinning a rod bearing. I have a 1969 roadrunner that I've owned most of my life and did completely rebuild it. I also own a Jeep Wrangler that I've did a small amount of modifying as well. I will include my daily driver here too, it's a 1989 Honda CRX si and I have also rebuilt it from end to end and I installed a nitrous oxide wet kit on it. It will surprise you out of the hole and will get 45 mpg! I don't drink, play golf, fish ,hunt, or run around on my wife so you could say that these old cars are my hobby but I do love working on them for sure.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Sorry Elijah, you are on a 9 year old thread. Just a heads up when you are looking at the recommended reading threads, for some reason many old threads seem to resurface. You are not alone, many of us who are aware of of this still fall victim to recommended reading.

·
Premium Member
1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe
301 Posts
Sorry Elijah, you are on a 9 year old thread. Just a heads up when you are looking at the recommended reading threads, for some reason many old threads seem to resurface. You are not alone, many of us who are aware of of this still fall victim to recommended reading.
I did see that this thread had no activity for a long time but I enjoyed reading what was posted so I went ahead and posted just to see if anyone might follow suit. Sorry

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
No need to apologize Elijah. I think some of those old threads are worth reviving. I just wasn’t sure if you were aware it was an old thread. I have done it a number of times myself not realizing it. The old threads only seem to pop up in recommended reading.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts