Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To me it looks like it might be a re-pop - whether or not that's a bad thing, I don't know; I could always check the frame. It is attached vertically like it should be but the spot weld on the right side (in picture) looks odd along with the first digit following "VC55". I'm guessing it's an Oakland built car so that should be an "O", but it looks like the "0" (zero); same as the sixth digit that follows it. Anyone know if the "O" and "0" were one and the same back in the day? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Funny, I was trying to convince myself that but couldn't quite decide. Now that I'm looking at it again, I agree with you.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Looks awfully "new" to me. No scratches and the spot welds look fresh. the stamping is very neat where-as most are all over the place as one would expect from a production line worker. If you can see the frame stamping that would tell you if the tag matches the frame, what info is on the cowl tag?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
JMO, even production line workers make mistakes. If there is no other reason to be suspect, I'd be good with it. Chassis number is sometimes very hard to read, even when you can look at it squarely.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
STYLE No 55-1037D
BODY No O 6755
TRIM No 521
PAINT No 615
ACC has a "1" stamped by it. No "EZ" or "E" or anything else.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I would say it's original. I don't even think it has been re-spot welded, it's just slipped when doing it originally. The Sequence of stampings looks ok, the fonts correct and the cowl tag body number looks to be about right.

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
That tag looks like an original Oakland one to me.
My '55 was built in Oakland.It's a 210 2dr. sedan.
The original tag off of mine is in about the same
condition as your's.My tag is B55O080---.I left
off the last three digits on purpose.The B in mine
was stamped a bit higher than the rest of the
sequence,but the rest is lined up much like yours.
The O for Oakland looks slightly longer than the
zero,same as yours.Hope this helps.

Doug

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'm calling it legit based on your comments. Now it's a matter of drumming up some coin. Regards.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I just checked my Oakland built V8 car. The O in Oakland is slightly higher like yours and also my VC is slightly offset higher than the numbers just like yours. Mine is bright and shiny ( I have polished it some) and appears just like yours other than mine has one spot weld on top and bottom. Yours probably came lose and was rewelded to attatch it.- John

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Somebody had a snootful when he stamped mine. This is what it looked like when we bought the car in 2002:

The cowl tag is better:

Hate the original green to this day.

paul
Exactly I think everyday was Monday for the guy stamping these things, I once heard he was the town drunk.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
As long as the Vin tags co insides with what the car is, Id call it good. If was a tag for a 210 or a 150 time to start investigating.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
To me it looks like it might be a re-pop - whether or not that's a bad thing, I don't know; I could always check the frame. It is attached vertically like it should be but the spot weld on the right side (in picture) looks odd along with the first digit following "VC55". I'm guessing it's an Oakland built car so that should be an "O", but it looks like the "0" (zero); same as the sixth digit that follows it. Anyone know if the "O" and "0" were one and the same back in the day? Thanks!
Doesn't look any different from the ones that you can buy on eBay. Don't know if it's good or bad? I'd hate to find out on my dime.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
re-pop or not?

Doesn't look any different from the ones that you can buy on eBay. Don't know if it's good or bad? I'd hate to find out on my dime.
Exactly right! There is/was an ole' boy on ebay selling them and offering to stamp whatever you wanted for a substantial fee, he charges per digit, he claimed to have an original stamp set. The only way to be reasonably certain if the VIN tag is legit is to match it with the frame, and of course a long paper trail would be nice as well. If the car already belongs to the poster and it's titled and registered then he's home free, on the other hand if he's asking because he's looking to buy it then that's a whole different problem. It looks too neat to me and the spot welds are suspect... I know I know the tag "could" have fallen off or been removed for "painting" and re-welded and the guy welding the tag back in '55 "could" have slipped, but as zookpr points out... I'd hate to find out it's not legit AFTER I bought it. :tu

1 - 20 of 21 Posts