Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes when I can't sleep I get up and amuse myself by learning things on the computer. The last week or so for some reason my interest has been with learning things about Mars. I knew some things about it from past readings but tonite I ran into something really interesting. In the southern hemisphere of Mars, there's a GIANT impact crater called Hellas Planitia (some kind of Greek name). This thing is 1400 miles wide, and some 23,500 feet deep!!

Of course, the object hit the planet long before man was ever invented, but I had to sit back and imagine what that would look like through a good telescope, and the chaos that would cause there!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
It hit 3.9 Billion years ago. Have you ever wondered, well here is the crater, but where is the object that hit it? Did it bounce back into space? Did it disintegrate upon impact? Where is it? Maybe some answers are here.

http://nineplanets.org/meteorites.html

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
I am big on science and the study of our Universe. However, I'm amazed by this video of the little blue marble we all live on... this is a link to an episode of NOVA, and if you only watch the intro, it'll amaze you - did me... then when you have time, watch the entire Documentary, you'll learn things you never dreamed of about our little planet...

BDR...:cool:

http://video.pbs.org/video/2334144059/

·
Premium Member
13,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
55BigBlock,
For some odd reason my computer won't connect me to the site you suggested. Kinda ticks me off because I'd really like to dig into that.

angs1957,
As far back as I can remember I've always questioned the "fact" that Earth was the only planet with life on it. Never really made sense to me.

Before My Time,
Dean, If you were standing there on Mars watching the 60 mile wide flaming meteor come in I bet it would make a guy duck!!, not that it would do any good!

·
Premium Member
13,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am big on science and the study of our Universe. However, I'm amazed by this video of the little blue marble we all live on... this is a link to an episode of NOVA, and if you only watch the intro, it'll amaze you - did me... then when you have time, watch the entire Documentary, you'll learn things you never dreamed of about our little planet...

Well you got me started on it but I had to tear myself away. I'll save it for tomorrow night when I can't sleep. Looks like a great one to watch. I don't know how I missed that one, because I watch NOVA every time it's on.
Thanx man.

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
We are the little white DOT...

It's crazy how REALLY SMALL we are... in the scheme of things, our entire solar system is tiny, much less the planet we call earth... to put it into perspective, I fired up my 55 Chevy (staying with the theme of this forum...) and I went on at little cruise and zipped out beyond Saturn and snapped these pictures... our planet from 900 million miles away... where all known mankind live... if you don't know what you are looking at, we (earth) is the little white DOT in the lower right portion of these pictures... I zoomed in on one in case you can't see us waving at first... yep, pretty amazing!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
Well you got me started on it but I had to tear myself away. I'll save it for tomorrow night when I can't sleep. Looks like a great one to watch. I don't know how I missed that one, because I watch NOVA every time it's on.
Thanx man.
Yeah, it's pretty lengthy, full episode, but truly amazing the instruments we have to study and observe our planet from space, learning more and more how something clear round or down-under (where our Kiwi friends live)... can have an impact on something going on completely the other side of our planet earth...

BDR...:shakehands:

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Can't see that link from "my region"...will have to look for it later.
NOVA, heck, PBS, are what I/we watch the most of...Discovery has let me down with all their nonsense programing...

A couple years back we got our daughter a telescope for her birthday. It wasn't one of those $5000 jobs, but not a toy either. From in the city, I have been able to set up in my living room, and see the rings of Saturn, and some of Jupiter's moons...pretty cool!!

Unfortunately for my poor kid...a lot of what I really like has rubbed off on her...and now all her studies are focused towards her being an Aerospace Engineer! :)
And the irony...while she studies to look into the future, she want's a '56...I think sometimes more than I do!! :)

She can be seen in this thread, pictured with her dream cars...well...not the dragster;
http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106728&highlight=kids+cars

·
Registered
575 Posts
Speaking of science and to change the subject, I have a question. Water is H2O, which is two parts hydrogen and one part oxygen, right? Well, hydrogen is highly explosive and so is oxygen, and we throw that on a fire to put it out.?? Ted

·
Registered
67,713 Posts
will keep an eye out for that show, never to old to learn something. :tu

·
Premium Member
13,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Speaking of science and to change the subject, I have a question. Water is H2O, which is two parts hydrogen and one part oxygen, right? Well, hydrogen is highly explosive and so is oxygen, and we throw that on a fire to put it out.?? Ted
It is kinda weird huh? Both parts start out as gasses, but put them together and you get a liquid.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Yes, if water didn't have its unique properties, such as being less dense when frozen, and slightly polarised (+ and -), life wouldn't be here!

What about when sodium (a highly reactive metal) combines with chlorine ( a poisonous gas) you get... Na Cl, salt!

The term Goldilocks is being used more and more in Science. Earth is in the Goldilocks zone, not too hot, not too cold, and now they think even the Laws of Physics lie in a Goldilocks zone, where if there had been a slight variation in the Big Bang, galaxies wouldn't have existed. But that's not all!

We own the Goldilocks zone of Chevys too! :sign0020:

Geoff

·
Registered
445 Posts
It is kinda weird huh? Both parts start out as gasses, but put them together and you get a liquid.
Only at room temperature. Both can be liquids when cool enough!

The combination of the electrons form more stable electron levels. An easy way to think about it is that oxygen and hydrogen are like nuts and bolts. No matter how many you have of one, it does not make a good fastener. But if you put the two together, they work together to do something neither one could do individually.

·
Premium Member
13,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Fascinating program. I'm about a third of the way into it.
The two pix you posted from your 55 near Saturn really does make a person realize how very small we are. It kinda puts our 'egos' into perspective.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
How close are you to San Jose ? The "Lick Observatory" has a 36" refracting telescope there that will blow your mind , as would a trip to any Planetarium . BDR is right ; that whole "grain of sand" thing is impressive ,not to mention how good it is to deflate one's ego . Time to buy a starter telescope , and find an area with less light pollution . We live in an area of very dark sky , and cottage in an area even darker at night . There's no end to the string of little "shooting stars" and fiery little comets we can see at night . Wonderful doesn't come close . If BDR wants to go out a little further on his next cruise , he'll have to do something about his BBC gas mileage . LOL . Be safe...Bob.

·
Premium Member
13,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm about 1 1/4 hour away from San Jose, and I've heard of that Lick telescope before. Might look into that.
When I was younger I used to camp in the Sierras alot. There's one place up there I used to camp at that is above the timberline, a small flat spot on top of a mountain. On a clear summer night the sky is an eyefull. Shooting stars, and watching satellites go from horizon to horizon is enough to raise goosebumps. I haven't been up there in a very long time though.

·
Trifive Certified Restoration Shop
3,422 Posts
I love the science stories.

I always click on the Mars Rover stories and the sun spots, eruptions, etc. Fascinating stuff to learn.

Waiting to read up on the latest from the Voyager probe at the outer rim of our Solar system.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts