Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Baseball was my favorite sport growing up so I only played one year of tackle football before going back to baseball. My 8 yr old son is a football fanatic. He excelled in flag football for 3 seasons, can sit through hours of NFL and NCAA games on Saturday and Sunday and beats me 90% of the time in video game football.

He BEGGED me to play tackle this season and after thinking about it and talking to others I let him. He's now 4 weeks into the season and having his first game tomorrow. He's the fastest boy on the team and upper half of the boys as far as size. In tackle drills, he smothers the tackle dummy and does great. Put him head on against another boy or ask him to lead block for the tailback and he totally folds. What is wrong with this boy and when, if ever, will he get over this fear? I've talked to him about it and he is afraid his pads won't protect him. Meanwhile, his right shoulder/tricep is a big purple bruise because he turns his body and takes all the hits on his arm.

Frustrated! Tell me this is normal, he will get over it and play to his potential!

Jeff

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Jemo He's 8! He'll be fine. Best advice I think I can give you as a Sports Dad is let the coach handle it. Kids usually respond better about a problem from someone else. You keep encouraging him.
I have a 12yr old that is an awesome Shortstop, and he goes through times, you would think he's forgotten everything, but he always comes back. At this age don't expect too much, remember he wants to do well, but also wants to please you.

Attachments

·
Registered
559 Posts
I agree with RW. Let the coaches handle it. Hopefully they know a little about football and techniques and have the kids with their "heads up" tackling.
John F

·
Trifive on Facebook Admin
1,826 Posts
I played in high school. my son turned into a stud playing both sides of the ball and was all conference. The first thing they teach you is if you hit harder than the other guy you won't get hurt. Now teaching that to an 8 year old may be difficult. It works. There is science behind it too.
hope this helps

·
Trifive on Facebook Admin
1,826 Posts
One other thing they don't teach kids until jr high is if you are trying to block someone, use your hands and push up on the other guys bottom edge of the shoulder pads. your arms will be in the right spot and the leverage will keep the guy off balance.:tu

1 - 5 of 5 Posts