Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody do their own powder coating at home?

There always seems to be a ton of small stuff that I want to powder coat. (Car stuff and other hobbies) So, I've been looking at PC setups and it looks like you can get the tools to do small stuff pretty inexpensively.

I've got a compressor, bead blasting cabinet, and a workshop that I think would work well for this. I've also located some good powder suppliers.
From what I've read, it looks like nice prep work and temperature monitoring are the keys to success.

Anybody doing their own powder coating? Any tips?

·
Registered
11,214 Posts
I don't think your frame will fit in the oven.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think your frame will fit in the oven.
That's what she said.....ba dum!

I realized that I've probably already spent enough on powder coating to have my own setup and I can think of at least 50 more things I want to powder coat on my cars, motorcycles, go karts, etc.
Just waiting till it cools off and I think I'm gonna try it...

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,017 Posts
I borrowed one of the inexpensive kits and did the hood hinges and some other brackets. The hinges were supposed to be clear powder coated after the silver to get a shine, but the power supply wasn't strong enough to get the second clear coat of powder to stick, since the first coat insulated it. I think the power supply is the difference between the home units and the pro shops. I used an old electric oven that worked good for small parts.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
with a kitchen oven

Heres a few I did with an eastwood gun in a old kitchen oven. bead blasted in a HF Cabinet.

ALSO Don, how do you post those big pics. I see a picturetrails web address in properties, so the pic is hosted elsewhere. I tried some HTML in posting but image does not appear.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
vent

ventilation is important too. I stopped for a while because the stray powder was coating every surface of all equipment in the shop.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,017 Posts
ALSO Don, how do you post those big pics. I see a picturetrails web address in properties, so the pic is hosted elsewhere. I tried some HTML in posting but image does not appear.
Yes, you have to download them to a host site. Picturetrail and Photobucket are free up to a limited numer of pictures. Copy the web address, then click on the yellow icon with 2 mountains and the sun, then paste the url in the drop down window.

Thanks, Geoff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts