Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi new guy to the site i have a 55 chevy 210 delray i sreet/strip the car. it has 275/60/15 drag radials, 57 ford ranchero 9"rear end and the spring relocate kit that goes in the frame rail. just wondering if any of you tri-five guys were running caltracs. discuss.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have them installed on my 57 but the car has a long way to go for me to try them out, springs are in the original position though

·
Registered
339 Posts
I went to a show last weekend and was talking with a guy that had put cal-tracs on his 55. He said it was the best money he's spent. He said they really improved his traction. I ordered some the following monday and just got them in but haven't installed them. I'm doing a pocket kit at the same time. It will be a couple of months before I get to try them out since I still have the body off the frame.

I'm going to be running stock springs for now. Spent too much last week on the pocket kit and cal-tracs.

Steve

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tenn210 said:
I went to a show last weekend and was talking with a guy that had put cal-tracs on his 55. He said it was the best money he's spent. He said they really improved his traction. I ordered some the following monday and just got them in but haven't installed them. I'm doing a pocket kit at the same time. It will be a couple of months before I get to try them out since I still have the body off the frame.

I'm going to be running stock springs for now. Spent too much last week on the pocket kit and cal-tracs.

Steve
im glad i did the pocket kit. i seen in super chevy were they did it to a 57 chevy. i had to cut my spare tire wheel out is that common? it seems like no way to get to that side of the frame without lifting up the body or something. maybe i installed my incorrectly?:eek:

·
Registered
688 Posts
A pocket kit goes directly under the frame, you have to cut the frame open in front to get the pocket kit in and weld, or maybe your taking your spring perches and swaping them to each side to get your springs on the inside of the frame??

you may not like that ride it gets a little wishy washy/unstable

is this the kit you got? http://www.classicchevy.com/product.asp?pf_id=21-131&dept_id=1821

if it is, it goes inside the frame in front and directly below the frame in back, then you will have to widen your wheel tubs,probaly have to get rid of the spare tire thing and center your gas tank

I didnt use the spring kit but I did get rid of the spare tire thing and centered my tank

I think I know what you mean having to get rid of the spare tire thing, its so you can get in there and work

·
Registered
61 Posts
I really like the semi black look! The banger is theeee only way to go! What combo are you running? I'm putting together a mild 383 to replace the old 327 in my 55. Glad your signed in.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really like the semi black look! The banger is theeee only way to go! What combo are you running? I'm putting together a mild 383 to replace the old 327 in my 55. Glad your signed in.
short rod 383 with pro action heads. i ditched the 4 speed in favor for a glide. just didnt want to break the 4 speed planning on making close to 800 hp on bottle.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm running Classic Fab's clone of the Cal-Tracs...

275/60 15 MT ET/Street Drag Radials.

My launches are not as hard as they will be, not enough stall...in the water box burnouts, as steady as can be imagined

no wheel hop, no chatter, slight preload on right side-car comes out straight...

pics below:

These tires clear the springs, with a 59" wide F*#d 9" Moser rear, stock spring location.

Paul

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
I installed the spring kit in my 56, but it is going to be a long time before I get to try it out. I will not be getting the spare tire well with the new trunk floor as I had to cut a hole in the old one when setting the body back on.
Dave

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm running Classic Fab's clone of the Cal-Tracs...

275/60 15 MT ET/Street Drag Radials.

My launches are not as hard as they will be, not enough stall...in the water box burnouts, as steady as can be imagined

no wheel hop, no chatter, slight preload on right side-car comes out straight...

pics below:

These tires clear the springs, with a 59" wide F*#d 9" Moser rear, stock spring location.

Paul
nice setup im using the same tires and a 9 in from a ranchero. what are your 60 ft and and qt mile times. what motor combo you running?

·
Registered
339 Posts
im glad i did the pocket kit. i seen in super chevy were they did it to a 57 chevy. i had to cut my spare tire wheel out is that common? it seems like no way to get to that side of the frame without lifting up the body or something. maybe i installed my incorrectly?:eek:
I installed the pocket kit and Cal-Tracs last week. I have the body off so I don't know if I will have to modify the spare tire well yet. I got my kit from Earle Williams. Earle said some folks to have to notch or do away with the spare tire well to clear the shackle. It's going to be very close.

The install went pretty good. It was a lot of cutting, grinding, and welding. Although I did have a friend that is a professional welder do the welding. I had been to the races a few weeks ago and a nice 68 camaro lost his 4-link about 3/4ths way down the track. He hit the wall and did some serious damage to the car. The rear axle ended up about 30 feet from the car when he got stopped. He did not get hurt (physically).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts