Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if any of the other members here restore/collect old gas pumps?I don't fool around with the early visibles or the clock faces but collect/rebuild/restore the early electric computer pumps.....They are from the late 30's thru the late 50's and fit the era of cars that interest me.I hope to build a new shop soon and want to do a "Faux" island display complete with a canopy and several restored pumps.I am currently finishing up a Tokheim 300 and just getting started on a tall Tokheim 39.I am always in the market for pumps/parts so if you know of something laying around....drop me a line! I would love to see some photos of pumps that belong to other members...so...let's see what ya got!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is the Tokheim Tall 39 that my grandson and I will begin tearing down for restoration this weekend.I am almost finished with another Tokheim 300 like the solid red Texaco pump in the previous post.However,it will have red sides and top but white doors and I will use the circular Fire Chief Logo on the doors.I hope to finish it up in the near future....I'll post a photo.Everybody needs a couple of these to go with their old car collection....Beware,they are almost as expensive to buy/restore as old cars!!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I think that's really, really cool...but I just don't need another hobby right now! :)

·
Registered
953 Posts
I think those old pumps are awesome.
I don't have room for toys that big. ha,ha. I do old telephones instead and my wife barely tolerates them around the house.
Nice work.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks....The pumps do take up some room! As I said earlier,I am doing my next shop with lots of vintage decor....I am thinking I want an old telephone booth or perhaps just an old wall mounted vintage pay phone for the shop.Might you suggest a few good places/sources to look for such an item?Can the old phones be used with todays technology or is there some type of conversion that can be done?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Interesting hobby, those look great! I wish I had collected some of the old stuff when they were changing over from the old brands down here in the late 60's and 70's. Had a student whose dad is a gas distributer, I need to check on him anyway and will ask if they have any or know of any. I would like to see that fuel island when you get it set up. I tell my boys about the sunoco 260 we bought for .43 a gallon, premium stuff. I wonder what the octane that stuff would be by todays standards..

·
Registered
953 Posts
Late 55 said:
Thanks....The pumps do take up some room! As I said earlier,I am doing my next shop with lots of vintage decor....I am thinking I want an old telephone booth or perhaps just an old wall mounted vintage pay phone for the shop.Might you suggest a few good places/sources to look for such an item?Can the old phones be used with todays technology or is there some type of conversion that can be done?
Most of the phones work on todays phone lines as long as they have a dial. You can dial out and they will ring when called. 1920's and 30's phone had the ringer in a subset or separate box. The real old wooden phones can be made to work too with a newer network installed. Best place to buy them is on ebay. Search on 'Western Electric', they made all the Bell System stuff for a hundred years or better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts